Author Topic: Help! What's caused this?  (Read 6620 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: Help! What's caused this?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2022, 06:34:34 PM »
I will shortly be selling some parts off a spare K5 engine. Not started stripping it yet so don't know the condition of the top end, but if your needing parts I can soon get the cam and towers off. PM me if your interested and we can work out a deal.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Bristolbadger

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2022, 10:07:36 PM »
I will shortly be selling some parts off a spare K5 engine. Not started stripping it yet so don't know the condition of the top end, but if your needing parts I can soon get the cam and towers off. PM me if your interested and we can work out a deal.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Hi royhall thanks for this, very much appreciated, I'll pm you

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2022, 03:25:41 PM »
Nick, can you PM me your email address and I will send you some photo's of the parts. I have got the bits off the scrap engine and they look to be in good condition, I would certainly reuse them.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Bristolbadger

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2022, 06:37:38 PM »
So an update and a few pics on my unpleasant top end meltdown.

Due to the modded frame I'm lucky to be able to whip the head off in situ as Nurse Julie thought, so that's something I guess.

Before that the oil metering jet on the right did have a damned sliver of the old white gasket seal from the cases the PO used and that I was so careful getting rid of... however a bit was there on the thin end when I took the jet out. The towers seem clear but not blown them out with cleaner yet to see what may emerge.

I sieved the oil through the sump plug and there was one other tiny bit of white sealant and a few globs of jelly like oil and tiny ally swarf from the holders & cam shaft I imagine...

I dropped the oil pan and there was sludge in there but no more sealant, same on the bottom of the pump mesh (none on the pump side though).

So... Roo popped round after my initial post and helped lift my dark and sweary mood with his enthusiasm, knowledge, and desire to help out a brother in need! ...and I've got to say my faith in human kindness has been restored. Cheers mate! Should have been on this forum from the start not the US one  ::)

I've got another cam shaft and tower thanks to Roy but now it's over to you for expert advise on how to now proceed.
I'll thoroughly clean the head, towers, jets in a dishwasher and with steam and parts cleaner afterwards to make sure the oil ways are clear and replace the oil filter but to what do I do with the remainder of the engine.. is there a flush out of the lump I can do with the pump and filter out... pressurised diesel flush somehow maybe????
Am I clutching at straws to not have to split the bloody cases again?  :-[

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2022, 07:27:52 PM »
I thought you had this engine fully apart so, why is there so much sludge in the oil strainer. Engine building is down to clean , clean and clean again. All the oil ways will need a good clean including, the main oil gallery. You will only get the same problem again if there is one small bit tucked away in a oil way  ;)

Offline Bristolbadger

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2022, 10:43:13 AM »
I thought you had this engine fully apart so, why is there so much sludge in the oil strainer. Engine building is down to clean , clean and clean again. All the oil ways will need a good clean including, the main oil gallery. You will only get the same problem again if there is one small bit tucked away in a oil way  ;)

I'm not sure why either Trigger, I was as clean as could be, here's a pic of one half of the case before I put originally put her back together. Some was swarf from the freshly eaten tower & cam and some jelly like sludge possibly from the same 

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2022, 11:29:21 AM »
FWIW I think you will have to split the engine casing again even if it's just for peace of mind - if you don't it will nag away at you afterwards.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2022, 11:48:23 AM »
The sealant/blockage, by deduction, must have been present somewhere between the entrance where the oil filter bolt threads are (post filtration) and through the oil galleries from there onward until reaching the supply up the barrels.

I agree, that you can't be sure without much more extensive inspection. 

I don't mind splitting them to work of them,  would be more gutted to have it happen again though.

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2022, 04:10:39 PM »
As Nigel says, the blockage must have been in an oil gallery where you can't see it. Being clean on the outside unfortunately doesn't help. Cases need to be opened to find and clear the problem. ☹
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2022, 05:36:31 PM »
I have seen that jet blocked by a piece of gasket fallen into the oil feed from cleaning off head or base gasket

Offline Bristolbadger

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2022, 07:58:17 PM »
The sealant/blockage, by deduction, must have been present somewhere between the entrance where the oil filter bolt threads are (post filtration) and through the oil galleries from there onward until reaching the supply up the barrels.

I agree, that you can't be sure without much more extensive inspection. 

I don't mind splitting them to work of them,  would be more gutted to have it happen again though.
Yep I hear what your saying and as much as it'll pain me to spit the cases again at least it'll be thorough and my mind will be at rest when she's up and running again.

It's more about having garage/workshop space to do it in. I've been evicted from the  school boiler house that I built her in and really didn't expect to be going into the guts of the engine again... so soon anyway.
What a blast

Offline Bristolbadger

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2022, 08:02:43 PM »
I have seen that jet blocked by a piece of gasket fallen into the oil feed from cleaning off head or base gasket
And no way of knowing until it was too late? Hope it didn't do what mine did

Offline Bristolbadger

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2022, 02:38:13 PM »
Hi folks, so I'm making some progress on the repairs and have a few questions...

I've got a head gasket but it's not the graphite type like the previous one I used... it was from a closing down, old school bike shop/engineers and seems like it's more fiberous (composite?) and than the previous NE one that came in a set for the whole bike.

So how to proceed with it when I'm back at that stage... oil it, use copper spray seal or what?

Also another pertinent question that could be a contributing factor to my problem; I'm running a custom oil tank with the original hose unions at the engine end but connected with ID: 14.3mm hose. Do you think this will adversely affect the flow/pressure? Anyone know the original hose ID?

Cheers fer now

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2022, 02:54:52 PM »
If that rust on the fire ring is more than superficial, don't use that gasket.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2022, 11:19:40 PM »
Hi folks, so I'm making some progress on the repairs and have a few questions...

I've got a head gasket but it's not the graphite type like the previous one I used... it was from a closing down, old school bike shop/engineers and seems like it's more fiberous (composite?) and than the previous NE one that came in a set for the whole bike.

So how to proceed with it when I'm back at that stage... oil it, use copper spray seal or what?

Also another pertinent question that could be a contributing factor to my problem; I'm running a custom oil tank with the original hose unions at the engine end but connected with ID: 14.3mm hose. Do you think this will adversely affect the flow/pressure? Anyone know the original hose ID?

Cheers fer now

That gasket looks to be K1/K2. I thought you had a K5 which should have the dowel pins with a rubber seal around them. Can you post a picture of the top of your barrels to confirm  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal