Author Topic: CB550k1 US Import - UK registration  (Read 33160 times)

Offline juitz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: CB550k1 US Import - UK registration
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2022, 04:25:15 PM »
Thanks everyone. As much as it sucks, all the issues and lessons learnt encountered by everyone else will hopefully make this reg go smoothly.

Offline juitz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2022, 12:50:48 PM »
OK first step done, got the letter from VJMC.

Now onto DVLA application!

Offline juitz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2022, 12:43:17 PM »
OK, application has been sent to DVLA, fingers crossed for a good result!

Whilst I'm here, can anyone recommend a good machinist to rebore the cylinders (I'm in the Wiltshire area)? Engine was seized due to corrosion - Not sure if rebore/bigger cylinder or just new / seconhand block is better way to go?

« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 01:57:12 PM by juitz »

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2022, 03:18:13 PM »
Is the bike substantially complete? You might get a visit from the DVLA’s validation engineer and based on what he said to me he’ll give the thumbs down if it’s in bits on the garage floor…..just saying.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2022, 11:18:07 PM »
They're pretty busy but speak to Trigger and Nurse Julie on here, they do a fab service
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline juitz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2022, 10:40:54 AM »
Is the bike substantially complete? You might get a visit from the DVLA’s validation engineer and based on what he said to me he’ll give the thumbs down if it’s in bits on the garage floor…..just saying.

Yes it is in bits which is what I'm really worried about. My fault for jumping the gun on those. I can rebuild it I guess but that would be a pain....

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2022, 06:10:35 PM »
cant you just wait until its done then reg it? Honest question, never had to do all this gubbins so curious.
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2022, 07:29:52 PM »
I wouldn’t worry to much. If and I do mean if you are contacted by the inspection guy just be open and honest with him on the bikes status. They generally like to see it fully assembled to witness the bikes authenticity and roadworthiness, but you do have time.

Or like Roo says, jus you delay the inspection until you are ready.

Offline juitz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2022, 04:51:27 PM »
I'll keep this thread as a progress and advice thread.

So, I was originally thinking of rebuilding my bike as a cafe racer. But after further reading and some sensibility kicking in, I've decided to go in a slightly different direction. Firstly, i'm keeping the stock airbox to make tuning/running more reliable. Enough info and threads around stating the difficulties of tuning carbs with non-stock airbox. I have enough to do as it is, and don't want to add complexity where it's not needed. I love the cafe racer look, but I would much rather have a rideable bike.  I will have to get some side covers as my bike didn't have them - assume aftermarket ones are decent enough.

This brings me to the second change which is handlebars and ride stance. I've remembered that I'm too old to be riding with aggressive stance anymore - my back just can't handle it. So I've decided to keep the stock top triple and go with some low rise / superbike handle bars instead for a bit more of an upright position.

Can anyone recommend a decent set of aftermarket handlebars and where I could get some handlebar clamps in the UK? Don't want to use the stock clamp.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2022, 05:27:50 PM »
Now I could be wrong, but to get an age related and historic registration I’d understood that a large proportion of the bike had to be assembled using original parts. As I said, I could be wrong….

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2022, 06:11:11 PM »
I'd be impressed if a DVLA inspection notice a change in hadlebars tbh they baulk at stuff like vehicles that have had a brand new bodyshell or engines then want to avoid the VEL duty by hiding behjind the original registration date to retain the licence plate etc.

I quote form Govt website :- no ‘substantial changes’ have been made to the vehicle in the last 30 years, for example replacing the chassis, body, axles or engine to change the way the vehicle works
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2022, 07:17:12 PM »
I agree Ted. I’m sure there is guidance on the proportion of parts to be used: frame, motor, brakes, mudguards. I know a bloke who built up a Norton combat using an original NOS featherbed and factory supplied combat motor and yet he had to register on a Q plate. I’m sure there is more to the story, but I just can’t recall.

Offline juitz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2022, 11:51:36 AM »
Hmm, so a historic reg might not be the way to go here. Being from Australia and this being my first "build", the details of vehicle registrations are new so obviously a lot to learn!

It was always my belief that a lot of parts would need to be replaced on the bike due to the age and condition. And as I've stripped it down I've found more and more issues.

For example the front wheel rim is in poor condition, and I don't think it salvageable - so will need a new rim (see pics). Does this take it further from a historic reg? Probably! Rear wheel looks ok, on the outside, it might be ok to re-chrome.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
And the electrics, ugh! Another mess of missing/rotted/rusted parts - to be replaced with new wiring and M-unit.
Exhaust is another full replacement. So yeah, not a great condition bike but I did want a challenge 😉

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2022, 12:31:38 PM »
Keep the frame and crankcases and everything else can be replaced due to wear, first you get A registration THEN go historic

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2022, 01:40:04 PM »
Hmm, so a historic reg might not be the way to go here. Being from Australia and this being my first "build", the details of vehicle registrations are new so obviously a lot to learn!

It was always my belief that a lot of parts would need to be replaced on the bike due to the age and condition. And as I've stripped it down I've found more and more issues.

For example the front wheel rim is in poor condition, and I don't think it salvageable - so will need a new rim (see pics). Does this take it further from a historic reg? Probably! Rear wheel looks ok, on the outside, it might be ok to re-chrome.

(Attachment Link)
And the electrics, ugh! Another mess of missing/rotted/rusted parts - to be replaced with new wiring and M-unit.
Exhaust is another full replacement. So yeah, not a great condition bike but I did want a challenge 😉

No, things like buying replacement wheels, wiring loom etc etc have nothing to do with the bike not being eligible for Historic Status. As a majority of 'original parts' are no longer available as parts have been superseded by Honda time and time again, it is an almost impossible task to acheive.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 01:42:25 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal