Author Topic: Dynatek electronic ignition instructions - slight help needed.  (Read 824 times)

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Despite having previously having installed the Dynatek Electronic Ignition (2020)and had the engine running I've basically forgot how I did the static set up so read the instructions and confused myself completely. I know to start with No:1 cylinder at TDC both valves closed on compression.

Quote from instructions:-

A) The left module fires cylinders 1-4 the right module fires cylinders 2-3 each provides an adjustment +/- 10 deg of adjustment. Moving them counterclockwise advances the timing and clockwise retards the timing. (YEP UNDERSTAND THAT)

B) All timing adjustments should be made using the advance timing marks on the advance assembly.  (YEP UNDERSTAND THAT)

1.To time the engine statically, connect a 12 volt test light from the junction of the blue coil wires to ground, Do not disconnect the wires. Use a wrench on the advance assembly hex washer to rotate the emgine. (YEP UNDERSTAND THAT)

2. Turn ignition switch ON. While holding the rotor in the fully advanced position (clockwise), slowly rotate the engine forward until the test light turns on. The right hand  advance mark for cylinders 1-4 should align with the fixed mark on the engine case, (CONFUSED)

(Similarly repeat for cylinders 2-3 OKAY)

The bit that has me stumped is as I am holding the rotor fully clockwise against the springs what is meant by "slowly rotate the engine forward" As I am looking at the engine from the timing plate side is forwards clockwise or anticlockwise?

I thought the engine rotates clockwise when running looking from the generator side of the bike - this means the engine is rotating counter-clockwise looking at it from the old points side.

So the question is does this mean I rotate the engine anticlockwise whilst holding the rotor fully wound clockwise to align the timing marks?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Dynatek electronic ignition instructions - slight help needed.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 07:41:58 AM »
Engine runs clockwise looking at ignition side (virtually all bikes do) look at it with that view to see if it makes sense.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 09:36:28 AM »
Engine runs clockwise looking at ignition side (virtually all bikes do) look at it with that view to see if it makes sense.

Thanks K2-K6 that makes sense as I had locked onto the idea that the engine ran clockwise viewed from alternator side for some daft reason.

Probably me overthinking it (that is when I'm not underthinking it) gawd knows how I did it last time - I must have thought the engine runs clockwise from that side previously.
Also explains why the cam tensioner bolt is at the front but it actually operates on chain at the back of the engine.
Never did the obvious just put it in gear and rotate the rear wheel  dohhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I feel ever so slightly silly now.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 09:43:00 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 11:22:12 PM »
You're better off using a strobe timing light, you can get it set up very accurately.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 06:35:15 PM »
You're better off using a strobe timing light, you can get it set up very accurately.

I agree with you Mike but you need to have the engine at least running to then adjust it with a strobe.

When I first got my bike to run before the strip down bearing in mind it had not run for over 12 years I set the timing up statically then checked it dynamically once running - the timing was spot on for 1-4 but the readings for 2-3 were a tad out dynamically so did some fine tuning.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal