Author Topic: need a custom engine mounting bolt...  (Read 629 times)

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
need a custom engine mounting bolt...
« on: April 02, 2022, 07:15:36 PM »
Does anyone know where I could get one made?

I am fitting rearsets on my 750F2 project, and the upper rear engine mounting bolt goes through the F2's chunky alloy footrest hangars and through the footrests themselves. The thing is 12mm diameter,  430mm long, with an M12 x1.25 thread at both ends. Well....as I dont have the footrests on this anymore, my bolt is about 30mm longer than it needs to be, and sticks out quite a bit on both sides. Plus, as there is about 20mm of thread each end, I would need to pop in spacers to tighten it up too. Just looks wrong.

I need to have one 30mm shorter.

At a push, I guess I could buy a spare stock bolt and cut it down...but I would also need to buy the right die to cut the thread, as all mine are metric standard...not metric fine. The bolt is also going to be fairly hard steel...so a decent die would be needed to cut hte thread I need before I chop the bolt down. I am not going to damage ANY of hte original parts that are usable, so the bike can be put back to stock ( or as near as it was when I got it ) at any time.

I am reckoning it may be cheaper to just get one made up
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: need a custom engine mounting bolt...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 07:32:09 PM »
I would guess any engineering works could do it,

If you're stuck, send me a drawing with spec,

I will ask down the road

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 07:45:38 PM »
Many years ago David Middleton made me some custom made hanger bolts in stainless steel, still using them now. Not sure if he still does it now but maybe worth asking. https://www.stainlessmiddleton.co.uk/
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 10:10:47 AM »
thanks guys ...will try that link.

Trouble with living where I do is the lack of such places. There used to be a load of little engineering places tucked on industrial estates, but they all seem to have got priced out of the place by stupid London rates. Guess thats the way of such things.

Thank god for the internet!
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2022, 12:47:09 PM »
Send an email to IDM engineering with a drawing and spec of what you want and they will do it for you. They have made lots of stuff for me over the years including preload fork tops for a VFR750. Reasonably priced and first class work. the guy who owns the business is a classic bike nut and has quite a few Triumphs. Tell them what it's for and they will help.

https://www.idmengineering.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal