Author Topic: Project 550 is go  (Read 7533 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Project 550 is go
« Reply #135 on: April 15, 2023, 05:10:25 PM »
I've taken onboard both those comments Ken for when I reach assembly on my 500 - the point about using a bolt rather than a JIS screw is a good one - I have the chrome bolt but might change it to SS.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 15, 2023, 05:57:12 PM »
I can spot a couple of things that are not correct Gary and normally I'd just say nothing as it can sound like I'm criticising but one may mean trouble in the future so I thought it best to say something. The bolt holding the gearchange lever on is a 20mm chrome headed bolt with flat washer fitted, you've got a JIS screw in there, you can't really get enough clamping power with a screw like that and if it's not tight there is a strong possibility of the splines rounding off in the future, this can either mean a new gearchange lever or a new gearchange rod, lever not a huge problem, rod means all the clutch housing off.

The points cover should also have raised countersunk 6 x 32 chrome headed JIS screws fitted not normal JIS screws, the dish will start to distort after a while if left as it is, not a huge problem but one that I thought I might as well point out. 
Try these. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255404602515?hash=item3b774cf493:g:pGMAAOSwEOtiGKo9&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAABAIJS%2BI7Txlmrlfaot5fPKLDaKDPT8Ne3zL1nhp5nwW4rxf42YATctLyzoFSkbp%2FHVJ8Wt%2FHBWwS0qAtAISpE2whIUzfY8SdSlTLMGdqq0mbauglJxrYWCmVIXJxXImzpSssHfPe07MGGpWUD%2Bbk2nmT54wAm79LnIz8lPDg4wqyFYtrYoOL8EOP9oWMolg6Eb9Y4OJh4aFKkBJtTziYW493obqrRRQyr0Zw%2F9p83Muax4skO8OoRAxvNOIPCRRUFQpTLi4br8DjYrNt02QkJtnLetpyU3TKOVnQG932khWe7vCkqyPRg51hI8hJFJTMCIhMClMEoHvR7m2F8Pdjywvk%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-yZ8tfwYQ

Looks like the rear brake lever has some damage, I have one NOS one left if your interested.

I have a spare 20mm polished stainless steel bolt and flat washer if you need one, no charge. It's what I fit to mine, looks original and stays that way, unlike the original bolt.

No starter cover yet?

Hi OJ, all fair comments. I have bolt for gear change lever, so Ill sort that.
Points cover screws are in the garage, somewhere.
Would you pm me a price for the brake lever please.
Did a bit of work on her today, balanced carbs, cam chain tension had "settled" a bit, tweaked pilot screws and found ignition on 2/3 a knats off. that tiny nudge on the timing made a huge difference. Seems to be running nicely now.
Ive put more pics on flikr and realised the points cover is upside-down.
What do you think of the rear mudguard. (or do we say fender now)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 15, 2023, 06:01:16 PM »
Fender is less typing. 👍👍👍
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 15, 2023, 08:13:16 PM »
Fender is American so no we don't say that, we have far too many of their terms creeping into what is OUR language, I don't want to encourage anymore. Before long we'll be ok spelling colour as color. 

Rear mudguard looks fine, the left side of the bike actually looks better than the right, the chain guard has chromed well.

Pedal is £80 plus £5 P&P, if you want it Gary. CMS want around £140 for the same thing.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 15, 2023, 09:11:53 PM »
Fender is American so no we don't say that, we have far too many of their terms creeping into what is OUR language, I don't want to encourage anymore. Before long we'll be ok spelling colour as color. 

Rear mudguard looks fine, the left side of the bike actually looks better than the right, the chain guard has chromed well.

Pedal is £80 plus £5 P&P, if you want it Gary. CMS want around £140 for the same thing.

The rear mudguard is black grp so I expected some comments on that, but maybe it not clear enough in the pic.
Re the pedal, I was thinking of getting it for my next project, but have since realised it wont go on a 500. That is a true bargain though, thanks for the offer.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal