Author Topic: What engine parts are chrome?  (Read 1540 times)

Offline smoothoperator

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: What engine parts are chrome?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2022, 12:59:28 PM »
As I invested in a zinc plating kit, and my flanges were rough, I have zinc plated them. Nothing too much to lose but initially they have come out OK. Took a few efforts though. I plated a couple of collars but this took a lot of prep, so I ducked the other 6. I've painted all 8 with VHT paint.
Steve
2017 Triumph Bonneville T100
1977 Honda 400 Four Restored April 2022

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2022, 01:45:52 PM »
Sorry to say but I doubt they'll last. Unless you smooth out those casting marks everything just falls off eventually as the marks allow water underneath the coating (whatever it is) and that blows it off from below, as the water gets hot it expands and just bursts through.

I tried VHT satin black paint on the collars, it sort of lasted but they were showing rust through it within months. Zinc plating may work but the surface would have to be smooth or the same as the flanges will happen IMO. I hope I'm wrong and it works for you but I'm pessimistic that it will. 
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2022, 02:47:33 PM »
That’s a nice looking, clean paint job Alex. Which paint did you settle on?

I ended up going with VHT Engine Primer and VHT Engine Enamel in Nu-cast aluminium :) The prep work was horrible, but really paid off, as it made the actual paint work a snooze and I am really pleased with the result. Baked it, and considering doing another wash or two, just to make sure I got all the last dirt out before reassembling :)

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2022, 02:52:50 PM »
Yes the exhaust flanges were chrome, however they are very roughly cast using a sand mould by the look of them. If you attempt to get them rechromed it won’t last long as the surface is too rough to accept it and only really the edges of the fins and the parts around the stud holes come out any good. They tend to rust like hell at the bottom of the fins after even a very short time.

Been there, done that, learnt the lesson.

I have a thread in the project corner section called 30 years of storage later, check out page 2 and you’ll see what I did to get round this problem.

The collared were zinc plated, due to the very high temps they are subjected too painting, even using VHT paint, doesn’t tend to last. I also did the collars in the same way as the flanges, almost ready to take them to get done, one set of flanges will be chromed, one set will be done by another process and all the collars will also get this process. If you can wait a few weeks you’ll see the results.

Just looked at your thread. Phew, quite a lot of hours put into that! I kind of want the same result, but I don't have the time for the complete job right now. I think they are going to get a spin on the wire wheel, and then I'll keep it at that for now. Won't paint them though!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal