Author Topic: Lots of posts missing  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of posts missing
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2022, 11:58:22 AM »
I was logged out of the site yesterday on my phone app and now unable to log back in even though I know the password I am using is correct. This is only affecting the phone app though, not the laptop.
I also recieved a notification of a message yesterday but its not there, not on the phone app or the laptop.

Dave,
That was from me - sent a PM to you with a bit of catch up and apologising as I didn't get back to you about meeting at Kempton Park.
Had Covid and a cold bug keeping me indoors for a while.
I'll PM a catch up in a few days if original one doesn't arrive.
Cheers,
Andy

Back up and running on the mobile now, strange how it accepted the password / login details yesterday but refused on Tuesday, I guess it was the change in server.
Andy, Still no message has come through but not to worry, I'll drop you a PM soon and maybe arrange a meet up. Kempton was very good, I actually managed to get all the parts I needed plus some more, first time ever!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2022, 10:57:43 AM »
Andy. That’s a really nicely finished 250T; can you post some some pictures of the whole bike? And how did you finish that clutch cover?

Hi Sesman,
Thanks, the bike was fun to restore as I got it very cheap and had lots of NOS and spare parts collected over the years for it (when old bikes and parts were cheap and not all over-priced as rare, collectible, vintage treasures!).
Tried to get it as close to original as reasonable without going overboard - although 99.9% of sane people would question spending so much time / money on the sadly unloved CJ.
Engine cases are painted - colour is the one Nurse Julie recommends for the 400/4 (have got number somewhere if you need it).
Couple of pics...
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Also just finished a much less involved restore of a CJ360T, this time not replacing very many parts and polishing rather than painting the cases. Jus needs a last run through and polish up then hopefully ready to see if she starts!
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Cheers,
Andy

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2022, 10:59:07 AM »
Sorry, screwed up the attachment bit and somehow lost the piccies of the 250 so hopefully there here this time...
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Cheers,
Andy

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2022, 12:37:10 PM »
Lovely job on both Andy.
Don't they look cool. They could be mistaken for a new retro bike, I wonder why Honda and the others haven't realised what is happening in the bike world and released a modern version of these with ABS and fuel injection, it would surely sell, Enfield are laughing all the way to the bank.
The tank decal on the 360 looks the same as a 400/4.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2022, 12:47:36 PM »
Ooh your tose tinted specs are working, the CJ was the worst of the 250's from the workshop point

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2022, 02:17:22 PM »
Got to agree with Bryan, hated them with a vengeance. Worst bike Honda ever produced IMO. Saying that maybe that's harsh as the only ones I ever rode were already knackered.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2022, 03:26:50 PM »
I understand what you are both saying Bryan and Ken, they were not loved back in the day and obviously built down to a price BUT........look at them again, you can see the engine, the exhaust is a normal shape and doesn't have a cat stuck midway down it and lets play spot the plastic part, hardly any plastic on it!
If only the likes of Honda & Co take note of RE and Triumph, they have brought this style of bike bang up to date and they are the biggest selling bikes in the UK. Go and look at the current Honda range, there's nothing I would want to buy right now, the bikes are sterile with limited styling appeal, why can't they sell the CB1300 over here, I'd like one of those ;D
Hats off to Andy though, if it wasn't for him how many restored CJ's would there be out there now, none, they would all be in the scrapyard.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 03:29:29 PM by Laverda Dave »
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2022, 06:32:05 PM »
The CJ certainly always got mixed reviews - more negative than positive I guess.
I'm no CJ apologist either - for some reason I just quite liked them from back in the day when we borrowed a fairly tired one to replace a mates brand new Superdream for a trip to Devon when he stripped the sump plug the day before leaving.
The CJ belonged to a neighbour and was tired, badly maintained, slow and underpowered but somehow made it for the whole week and endeared itself to me for that.
When I saw one very cheap on eBay a good few years ago I couldn't resist and then a second one turned up, equally cheap, a few weeks later. Finally got the 360 along with the 400/4 for a bargain price so that made a very pretty orange pile in the shed!
NOS parts for them were also worth nothing (until more recently) so I couldn't resist buying some to add to the collection.
After a few big 4-strokes and the 400/4 it was great fun doing the CJ - everything weighed less, cost less and engineering-wise was more simple.
I still quite like the look of them and as Dave says there don't seem to be many restored ones around so maybe it's about time a few got their turn.
Cheers,
Andy

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2022, 09:20:38 PM »
I think a lot of folks who hate them never actually owned or rode one. They have similar forks and swinging arm to a 400/4 but both components are slightly longer, which evidently made them handle reasonably well. I have a couple of mates who owned the from new (mates who now have LOTS of Hondas) and speak with a fondness of owning them. Definitely not as pretty as the G5, with all of its chrome, but the cam chain issues on the G5 didn't get completely sorted out until the final year of production, by which time the CJ  which replaced it, benefited from all of the improvements ..  as Bryan rightly says though, the retrograde design step of omitting a separate  inspection cover for the centrifugal oil filter was silly. Evidently another big improvement though was the switch from 6 gears on the G5 to 5 gears on the CJ.

Problem with restoring one now though is the virtually unobtainable standard exhaust system.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal