Author Topic: Swingarm play?  (Read 1945 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Swingarm play?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2022, 01:14:15 PM »
Found a cartridge of that grease just the other day, no idea why I bought it as I normally just have MolyD, LM, copper, nickel and silicon grease lying about. Got some red as well but not a big tin.

Kelly, look at where Honda put the grease nipple on the 550 swinging arm and just copy it. (look for pics on Ebay) IIRC it's 1140mm from either end, get a 6mm copper washer and lay it on the tunnel just above the weld seam, go up 2mm and drill in the centre of the washer, 5mm, tap to 6mm, locate nipple ( I used a straight small stainless steel one) then using a flat punch knock the copper washer to the shape of the curve of the tunnel. I usually weld a 6mm nut on for the nipple to thread into but thought I'd try this first.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2022, 08:25:26 AM »
Thanks for all the replies

I have decided that as the play is very little will leave it and add to my winter to do list

Rather just be out riding now it’s warmer 😀😀😀
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2022, 12:29:25 PM »
If you are going to do that grease it before you go out every time

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2022, 01:54:07 PM »
Unlikely to stay warm though Paul especially as it's still early in the season. I'd personally remove the swinging arm bolt, drop it down whilst still in the frame and remove the collar etc, grease everything up really well after inspecting to what damage you can find. Do this when the weather isn't being so nice as leaving it all summer/autumn could mean when you actually get round to it that it requires more parts to fix than it may do now.

Bryan is also right saying grease before every ride but the only problem with that is that if you have play then the greasing system clearly failed at some point and there is no guarantee that greasing them now means that grease is actually getting to where it should do. In theory it should do but it only needs a small blockage or a plug of really hard grease and it looks like it working but it isn't.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2022, 04:47:02 PM »
are you sure the movement is coming from the bearing itself?  The swing arm on these bikes does flex a little as the MOT man used to show me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal