Author Topic: Lubrication  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Oggers

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Lubrication
« on: April 20, 2022, 11:16:01 AM »
Staedy progress rebuilding the bottom end. New balancer chain on - thanks Oddjob - various seals replaced, crankcases given new coat of paint etc etc.

Both crankcase covers are now also on in preparartion for top end rebuild. However, I did not lube up the new balancer chain before fitting the right hand cover. Does this matter? - as I assume as soon as bike starts up, oil will start thrashing about over the chain anyways?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Lubrication
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 11:46:22 AM »
You are correct with that

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 02:27:47 PM »
There's enough oil on them from the factory to last for a few minutes until the engine oil gets there.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Oggers

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 08:42:11 AM »
Thanks folks - good to confirm things. As an aside I am using PJ1 satin black to recoat the barrels and head after soda-blasting them. I have to say I am not impressed. The colour is more like a flat dark grey, and despite curing in the oven and dangling the part over a portable gas fire, the paint is still very soft when cool. A fingernail scratches it. I may try barbecue paint instead.....

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 09:58:12 AM »
Mabee Satin is too flat and gloss would be better?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oggers

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 10:46:33 AM »
Gloss finish on the barrel/head of black engines looks awful! A genuine satin finish is fine, but despite the can saying satin it just is not.   

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2022, 12:43:21 PM »
Gloss finish on the barrel/head of black engines looks awful! A genuine satin finish is fine, but despite the can saying satin it just is not.   

Okay how about Matt black as opposed to stain it might be blacker?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2022, 01:52:22 PM »
I've used PJ1 satin black and it was exactly what it says it is.

Maybe you didn't shake the can enough.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2022, 02:15:23 PM »
I've used satin black before and it dried matt despite shaking the can until my arms fell off!
The second attempt worked, be sure to make the first coat a dust coat and give every coat a ten minute drying time and shake the can for at least one minute between coats (I actually put the can in a bucket of hot water between coats to keep the paint warm). The secret seems to be to be little and often in terms of paint build up.
I think you really need to cure it in the oven though where a constant 100c can be maintained for the hour or so it needs to cure, i've never had any problems with it flaking off after curing.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Oggers

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2022, 02:50:41 PM »
Dave

Yes - defo more a matt than a satin finish. I too shook the can for ages, warmed the can in aforesaid bucket of hot water and heated the barrel over the portable gas fire until warm to the touch before spraying. I have since dangled the painted barrel over the gas fire again to cure further  - I dare not use the kitchen oven for fear of retribution - and it seems to have hardened off a little more...we shall see. I am still not impressed with the matt finish nor the not quite black colour though.

On this, I gave the head cover a coat of Plastikote BBQ paint. Better finish, certainly blacker and a little more satin sheen. I'll allow this to cure then compare and contrast. I also bought a can of Plastikote Woodburner paint. Colour seems just the same, but I may try it out on a sample piece of scrap to judge if that is any better.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2022, 10:18:05 AM »
I’d be surprised if the ‘dangling’ strategy will work. I’ve only ever had success with HT products by air drying for 24 hours at temps above 15deg, then oven curing at temps between 90degC and 200deg c for not less than 60mins.

Offline Oggers

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2022, 08:49:39 PM »
Dangling the part over a portable gas fire seems to work just fine for curing the Plastikote paint at least. You may be sure I will be dangling from the end of a rope were I to use the oven.

I am open to other suggestions for heating the part to such high temperatures.....

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2022, 09:16:38 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D.I know what you mean.

I’ve considered buying a ‘used’ electric oven. I think Oddjob of this parish created a curing oven. Try a search ?

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2022, 10:57:29 PM »
No wasn't me. I remember it though, maybe Ash, he's the Mad Professor on here.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2022, 07:57:39 AM »
Twas Phil ward. Do a “ Curing paint” search.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal