Author Topic: Petrol in a bike how long is it good for?  (Read 1521 times)

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
Re: Petrol in a bike how long is it good for?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2022, 07:34:35 AM »
In most parts of the UK if you fill with Esso Supreme 99 there is no ethanol in it ....

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Alternatively you could add seafoam ? but I am liking the 100/1 idea of Castor Oil

Simon

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2022, 09:31:53 AM »
The "seafoam" I cant immediately see what it could do to this scenario.  From their own data is appears to comprise of refined hydrocarbons (usually these in most of the addatives is napthalene) plus isopropyl alcohol at approx 25% by volume of concentrate. 

These are ordinarily used as degreasant etc and I can see that in pre burning fuel deposits they may have some effect. But that's not the concern with E fuels. It's more the fuel's stability in keeping it along with the water it may attract. Binding with oil may give advantage in this case, also the pressed oil is relatively safe to handle, carbon neutral and has the potential to coat the exhaust internal structure which may help with corrosion on some of these expensive systems.

I do feel that seafoam is just napthalene and isopropyl alcohol-ish in very small expensive bottles, which some would call snake oil I believe  :)

Ethanol doesn't appear to give reduced octane rating (likely an improvement in certain proportions) and from engine internal components I've seen, burns with less  carbon deposits that many of the proprietary additives claim to "clean" out of your engine.

As noted, it's not clear what these addatives can offer in relation to E fuels.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2022, 10:41:47 AM »
In most parts of the UK if you fill with Esso Supreme 99 there is no ethanol in it ....

(Attachment Link)

Alternatively you could add seafoam ? but I am liking the 100/1 idea of Castor Oil

Simon

Reading that and looking at the location of oil refineries and terminals  in the UK  I would have thought that to cover mainly the South of England to be ethanol free. Not most of the UK. If you ask at your local station they should be able to tell you as it will be on their spec sheets.

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2022, 11:20:08 AM »

Reading that and looking at the location of oil refineries and terminals  in the UK  I would have thought that to cover mainly the South of England to be ethanol free. Not most of the UK. If you ask at your local station they should be able to tell you as it will be on their spec sheets.

The specific areas not covered - from the Esso website

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ 99) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 11:22:17 AM by SPR »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal