Author Topic: Triumph Stag  (Read 1326 times)

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Triumph Stag
« on: April 20, 2022, 11:52:01 AM »
Hi,
Having the garage over-filled with bikes and projects, obvious thing is to consider buying an equally unreliable old car for a laugh.
No real reason as I have never really been very interested in cars but am considering a Triumph Stag for a bit of summer bimbling.
Anyone have any words of wisdom or warning before I begin my novice journey as a salesman's dream buyer.
Cheers,
Andy

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Triumph Stag
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 12:09:06 PM »
Always prone to cooling issues,

A lot converted with Rover V8 motors,

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 12:24:26 PM »
My only word of warning is try before you buy the driving position is really odd with your feet straight out so your heels are on the floor with a high centre transmission tunnel- they were not well loved when they were new due to overheating / headgasket problems plus the bodywork has the dreaded standard period rot of the era. There are a lot out there with well hidden serious structual rust.

If you want  V8 grunt I would go for an MGB or even a SL depends on your budget. Many Stags had the Triumph V8 engine replaced with the Rover V8 a much stronger engine but not for the purists.

If it's hood down summer thrills the Mazda MX 5 is a great starting point. Sorry if it's a bit negative but I was in the trade when they were new & a hard to shift used vehicle - they look great and folk bought them on looks only to be disappointed during ownership.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 12:27:06 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 12:40:09 PM »
I quite like them, but appreciate the reputation they carry for engine cooling.

Actually a good design of engine needlessly compromised by owners running them with no antifreeze or coolant system corrosion inhibiting content.
They use a fine core radiator that easily clogs with silt from galvanic corrosion which then compromised the cooling capacity. It's very simple really and should never have happened if looked after properly.
Differential uses a crushable "fibre" spacer to set tolerance and can be vulnerable if not correctly assembled. Throttle on to throttle off on overrun gives a noisy diff during overun if not built correctly. Ok if set properly, but something to check for.

If test driven, get the owner to boot it about a bit, then stand it running and stationery after the run for a time to assess if coolant is at least capable.  Talk to them about how the cooling system has been maintained to see if they know anything realistic about it.

Nice car to rumble about in though, and should hold value for you if decent condition. 

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 12:58:15 PM »
As Ted says, definitely try before you commit - I've only driven one with the correct engine and two with Rover V8s - an impressive package but nothing like a modern car and you have to keep on top of maintenance - 50 year old technology.  There is a good owners club and you might be better off attending a show or two and talking to them - they might even know of a good one or accompany you to a viewing.
We had an MG RV8 for a while which was best described as a parts bin 'agricultural' muscle car - you needed muscle with no power steering!  At a show with the RV8 we were introduced to MX-5s - how did I ignore those cars until I was 70?  For top down fun, they take some beating and our NB Icon was bought for just over a tenth of the value of the MG.  Yes, they too rust for fun but there are still some fine examples to be had.

Ian

Some bits of info on my web site if you get bored.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2022, 01:12:23 PM »
Last i heard there was a firm doing lots of Stag bits including better rads and pumps, if upgraded AND looked after can be a decent motor, if not an utter nightmare

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2022, 01:58:41 PM »
Rather like a TR6 meself. Bit shorter but sportier looking and had a great sound track. Edd China (the only man allergic to copper grease on old bolts) and his Gimp, (the fat bloke whos face annoys me) did one on Wheeler Bodgers which I thought was lovely.
My brother got dropped off at the church in a 'T' bar white Trumpet Stag V8 when it arrived it droppoed its guts right in front of the church when they pulled when it over heated..... Briliant;D

Told him not to bother ;D
My mates Dad picked him and his new 'Doris' up after the service in a white Ford Galaxy rag top.........It was about 30' long and had to do a 6 point turn in the car park. Epic ;D ;D  :-X;D  a right circus! ;D

MX5's are a right hoot to drive, proper little fun car that really handles with the right tyres on, they're not bad out of the box either. Had a scruffy one one year for a bit of fun  in the summer, it was brilliant, we went everywhere in it with absolutely no issues at all. Good shout Ted, and they're cheap too which plays to my superior genetic, Northern tendancies! ;)
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2022, 04:02:03 PM »
Lovely cars Stags. All the issues are now sorted, you can buy a bigger rad that will fit straight in to cure the overheating. I think Tony Hart does a lot of uprated parts for them so no problems there either.
They are a lot better than a Spitfire (I've had four of those) although they don't have the ultimate style of a TR4 or 5 but they are a lot cheaper and they are genuine four seaters unlike a TR.

Jeremy Clarkson did a review of them a good few years ago on Top Gear, here's a link:
https://youtu.be/TGJty_Rdp1U

Like a lot of others we had a MX5 (Mk 3) great, great cars, I would have another tomorrow if the wife hadn't suffered a slipped disc so unable to drive one now.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2022, 05:29:59 PM »
if i had the room, i would have a scimitar gtc. soft/hard top, no rust, v6 power.  i had a couple years ago, se5a and se6.
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2022, 05:42:29 PM »
Screw that, buy a car, buy a Mazda.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 06:11:41 PM »
if i had the room, i would have a scimitar gtc. soft/hard top, no rust, v6 power.  i had a couple years ago, se5a and se6.

The glass fibre bodywork does not stop the chassis from rotting though - my mate had an early straight six engined Scimitar Coupe went like stink but ate axles suspension & gearboxes back in the day. Very quick in the 1960's an underated classic.

There is always the TVR 350i wedge shape.

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2022, 06:56:52 PM »
Thanks everyone,
Great to hear what people think - having never been into classic cars it's a strange new world but sounds like a bit of fun!.

Had a look at a Stag today and a decent drive out - quite good fun but not as impressed as I'd hoped and having some doubts about a soft-top as even the owner was saying he's nervous parking up anywhere public.
So might scrap that idea!

Did think about a slightly less old classic convertible but think I'd then just as well get a much newer car with full electric gadgetry and comfort and forget the classic bit!

Next on the list I do quite fancy is a Capri 2.8i - again no reason or history with them but just like the look of them and maybe more 'useable' for a bit of fun.
Will see if I can find one to try out over the next few days while in the mood for reckless spending!

Cheers,
Andy

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2022, 07:04:32 PM »
"Next on the list I do quite fancy is a Capri 2.8i - again no reason or history with them but just like the look of them and maybe more 'useable' for a bit of fun.
Will see if I can find one to try out over the next few days while in the mood for reckless spending!"

They're well serious money if you've not appraised them yet  :o friends brother had a few when contemporary and wanted another but prices can be eye watering. Most interesting old Ford have gone seriously nuts.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2022, 07:29:37 PM »
You can buy a solid Merc R129 with electric roof and a lot of gismos as standard. More a Grand Tourer than a Sports Car but a lot of engine options. Still rate the MX5 or if you can find a good one the Honda S 2000.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2022, 07:41:10 PM »
Just thinking the same Ted, the Honda S2000 is a pretty neat sports car.

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/13264966

:)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal