Author Topic: Charging fixed but...  (Read 627 times)

Offline smoothoperator

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Charging fixed but...
« on: April 21, 2022, 07:33:17 PM »
Bike not charging so I have been reading through the posts on the issues. Regulator seemed a good place to start. The upper contacts were badly pitted so I cleaned them up with 800 grit, as well as the two lower contacts. Put it back on with no improvement. Next I looked at cleaning two connectors from the alternator, the white and the green - maybe striped I can't recall. All the yellows looked good so I left them alone. Started up and now charging OK by testing the voltage across the battery. I then disconnected the battery with the engine running and it kept going, which gave further reassurance.

Here's the but... Sorry it is a bit long winded

I've included photos which should help. Basically, the post that holds the contacts is adjustable, I removed it to get better access to the contacts for cleaning, then noticed the retaining screw goes through a slotted hole, allowing for up and down movement. Securing it in the upper position means more force is needed to pull the upper contact down and therefore a higher voltage? My question is, is there an optimum height to set this post.

I fitted the regulator to the bike with the cover off so I could see it in action. When the ignition is turned on, the electromagnet pulled the contact down, this is one of the clicks you commonly hear when turning the key. When I started the bike, the contact moved up, into the charging position and the voltage increased across the battery. After stopping the engine and waiting a minute or so, then turning the ignition on, the contact didn't move down this time, presumably because the voltage was now a bit lower. Started the engine and charging commenced straight away. I'm concerned with the post height where it is, it could be overcharging.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/371c31D4Nqcc2iQx8
Steve
2017 Triumph Bonneville T100
1977 Honda 400 Four Restored April 2022

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Charging fixed but...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 07:58:26 PM »
My Cycleserve 400 service book has some detailed information on the Regulator. I will scan you the pages in the morning and e mail them to you Steve.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Charging fixed but...
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 08:50:44 PM »
There is a set up/testing procedure in the Honda manualBUT it needs to be done at the correct temp and load

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal