Author Topic: Hi from Bristol  (Read 2455 times)

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Hi from Bristol
« on: April 25, 2022, 07:41:21 PM »
As above....A good few years back i became the owner of my late fathers 400/4. It was, in good condition. I stored it in a shipping container and the damp has literally eaten it alive (recoved it a couple of years back) and started to strip down for a full restoration and some upgrades....(digital ignition, new wiring and other stuff). The work has stalled for the last 14 months as ive had a garden renovation to tend to which im now almost through so im back on the bike....a bit of history...

A lot of work has already been done...its a rolling chassis now after a powder coate of the frame...the forks rechromed, wheels rebuilt with alloy rims and stainless spokes. The sticking point is the motor....to try to keep costs down ive stripped the motor to the crankcases and had all the exterior parts bead blasted....ive gave the engine to a local bikeshop which is where its stayed, in pieces  (the last 14 months) until last week. I think it was too much for him (i think he was a bit too proud to admit it, so i went and got it all)

So, ive got 4 boxes of bits albeit very clean and now have to find someone in the UK that can build it. I did contact one builder up north but he literally wanted thousands to rebuild it (i worked it out at close to 3k). I dont mind paying if i have to but, pardon the pun - dont want to get taken for a ride...i watched my ducati engine (hypermotard) get rebuilt in close to 2 working days and the 400/4 i would say is a simpler engine??

If anyone has got any advice im all ears....Glad to be here...ill be posting regularly as ive still got a lot of work to do..!

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Bristol
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 08:07:18 PM »
A location would help.

Scratch that I can see the title now. Maybe Bryan is the best bet.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 08:08:39 PM »
Err - Bristol!

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 08:14:22 PM »
Contact BryanJ, he's near Gloucester. Very experienced.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 08:25:08 PM »
Ken beat me to writing, im about 2 miles off junct 12 M5 and yes i will do it butcant give you a time scale as it has to fit between rbl shows, wifes trips and work! Shouldnt be a long time though.
Parts will be the main cost and you will need:-
Gasket set
Oil seal kit
Primary chain and dampers
Cam chain, maybe tensioner blade and horseshoe
Probably adjuster bolt mod kit.
If you havent kept the shells in correct positions thats £20 each HALF SHELL maybe more its a long time since i bought any.
Ring me after 8pm Tues, Wed, Thurs on 07795162623 and we can chat.
One thing i WILL NOT take responsibility for is any future failures caused by media from the blasting!

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 08:48:14 PM »
Hi - thats brilliant - ive got the gasket kit and the carb rebuild kit....are the other parts obtainable by you? (dont want to be lazy) if you expect it to turn up with everything ready thats fine - ill source it all for you..!

regards to the media blasting...the carbs are gummed up with the media...(they might be a lost cause) so you may have to check them first..! as far as i know theyre all clean - but i suppose i could find somewhere locally to wash them all first??

I do have the aftermarket alloy cam chain tensioner but thats it...

With regards to time....hey its been in pieces for almost 2 years now so i dont mind how long it takes as long as i know its with someone that can reassemble it...!

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 08:49:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your project 😁😁😁
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 08:53:38 PM »
Thanks very much.! My own bikes are a Hypermotard 1100 evo SP, an old pre aprc RSV4 and a z1000 (2014). I rode my dads bike (this one) once about 7 years ago to MOT (as when my dad passed away) my 2 brothers wanted to sell it but i bought them out. Cant put my finger on it but, riding it to the MOT - was one of the most pleasurable experiences (biking) of my life....glad i kept it and i want that experience again....but with it in pristine nick!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 09:26:30 PM »
I can source all the bits needed but on a you pay for it as i order it basis only, you pay labour at the end, we can discuss on phone no prob.
The original horseshoe may be salvegable if you still have it, cant quote bores and pistons till i see them.
Bryan

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 09:32:56 PM »
Welcome to the forum - loads of great, expert and friendly folk on here to help you with your project.
Enjoy the forum
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2022, 09:47:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum buddy, I'm in bristol too so if you need any help etc give us a shout. I've an ultrasonic and happy to help if required. Just finished a 400 so have various bits knocking about too if thats a goer .

kettles always on in the shed ;)
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2022, 02:10:21 PM »
Hi there - i might very well take you up on that....i was thinking last night where i could get the parts washed....is yours big enough to take crankcases?

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2022, 02:12:26 PM »
I can source all the bits needed but on a you pay for it as i order it basis only, you pay labour at the end, we can discuss on phone no prob.
The original horseshoe may be salvegable if you still have it, cant quote bores and pistons till i see them.
Bryan

No problem - no issues with that....i did pack everything up in boxes (as pre joining this forum) i was thinking i would be sending it somewhere.....have to unpack it all now and get it all washed...

What are the "horseshoes"?

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2022, 02:26:45 PM »
Horseshoe is the camchain tensioner part that runs under and around the crankshaft.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2022, 02:47:35 PM »
Welcome looks like you have an interesting build ahead of you - lot's of good advice on here plus some money saving tips as well.

If you are thinking of fitting taper roller headstock bearings  kits that fit are definitely available again in good brand name for the 400/4.

If you PM Smoothoperator (Steve) he will advise you its a kit by Pyramid Bearings I think - straight forward replacement.

Just to give you an indication the engine only parts cost (2020/21)  for my 400 that included quite a few bearings, all the crank shells, primary drive chain & bearings,rebore by Trigger, gaskets, etc etc came to about £1200.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 02:52:14 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal