Author Topic: Hi from Bristol  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Bristol
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2022, 03:33:14 PM »
The only problem I have with the Pyramid kits is that they say they are Japanese bearings but don't tell you what make they are when buying the kit. So you have to hope they've chosen a decent make of bearings. I prefer to find my own and then I can select the manufacturer I prefer.

Same applies to bearings inside the engine, often cheaper to source your own than buy Honda ones, same manufacturer in most cases.

Primary chain, buy the Kawasaki 92057-1011 chain, same chain, half the price.

May not need crankshaft and rod shells, if your really lucky. That's only IF you labelled them as you removed them, if you just threw them in a bag your kinda knackered unless they were all the same colour, very rare for that to happen. Some colour shells are now quite rare, lets hope you don't need any of those.

If possible use Genuine Honda gasket kits.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2022, 04:03:37 PM »
Thanks very much for the info....as the motor has only done 6k is a full bearing replacement necessary?

Headstock bearings: i bought oem honda bearings for the headstock (Wheels are back on and its rolling around the garage!)

Pyramid bearings!? (what are they)?

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2022, 04:04:35 PM »
Horseshoe is the camchain tensioner part that runs under and around the crankshaft.

Ah - i think thats the part i bought....(bought an aftermarket alloy one)? some lad in SA makes them from billet...

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2022, 04:06:14 PM »
The only problem I have with the Pyramid kits is that they say they are Japanese bearings but don't tell you what make they are when buying the kit. So you have to hope they've chosen a decent make of bearings. I prefer to find my own and then I can select the manufacturer I prefer.

Same applies to bearings inside the engine, often cheaper to source your own than buy Honda ones, same manufacturer in most cases.

Primary chain, buy the Kawasaki 92057-1011 chain, same chain, half the price.

May not need crankshaft and rod shells, if your really lucky. That's only IF you labelled them as you removed them, if you just threw them in a bag your kinda knackered unless they were all the same colour, very rare for that to happen. Some colour shells are now quite rare, lets hope you don't need any of those.

Shells: kind of when the engine came apart half the shells fell out the other half i numbered up....

If possible use Genuine Honda gasket kits.

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2022, 04:08:12 PM »
Just to add to all of this ill throw up some pics and create a thread in the build area....you can see what im up against then!! (might be a better place to continue conversations) but happy to on here as well!

Oh - and id just like to say, many thanks...its not a bike that i ever expected to own...least of all my dad's! but its been a very warm welcome...cheers.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2022, 04:26:39 PM »
Thanks very much for the info....as the motor has only done 6k is a full bearing replacement necessary?

Headstock bearings: i bought oem honda bearings for the headstock (Wheels are back on and its rolling around the garage!)

Pyramid bearings!? (what are they)?

Pyramid, name of company.

Don't forget that the bike is coming up to 50 years old, although the parts may not have done much mileage, bad storage etc can cause them to rust and deteriorate quite a lot. Plus some people think they may as well whilst it's apart, most bearings are only a few quid so it's not a huge outlay, trouble is it all starts to add up quickly.

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2022, 04:29:57 PM »
Welcome to the 400 four forum! Lots of help and advice available on here.

I know it's a bit late now, but if the engine has only done 6k miles, why did you you strip it right down?
They're normally good for 30k plus as long as regular oil and filter changes are done.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2022, 04:38:52 PM »
Purely because while it was stored in the shipping container the whole motor had tarnished beyond belief - the only way to get it back to a nice finish was to strip it to the cases....

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2022, 06:13:57 PM »

My Pyramid kit BR29 I think contained Japan NTN bearings plus what looks like a better seal arrangement than original ball bearings.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2022, 06:27:47 PM »
Well, its back together now....tbh honest once its done itll get used a couple of times per year....maybe a bit more....thats a job i can tackle after its all back together...

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2022, 07:12:46 PM »
I can source all the bits needed but on a you pay for it as i order it basis only, you pay labour at the end, we can discuss on phone no prob.
The original horseshoe may be salvegable if you still have it, cant quote bores and pistons till i see them.
Bryan

Thats absolutely fine....ive got no budget as such so ordering parts in bits and pieces is great.....as i say and stress i dont really care how long it takes....that'll give me more time to get cash together.....thanks again so much for the offer and the help.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2022, 08:34:17 PM »
Hi there - i might very well take you up on that....i was thinking last night where i could get the parts washed....is yours big enough to take crankcases?

Sadly not  but great for carbs and the like have alook at the 550mstarted thread of mine, they came up a bloody treat. I use a chap called Nathan at Chameleon Vapour blastingin Yeovil for big bits, he  has a huge parts washer and heated bath/dip thing. Im going down possibly thursday to grab some bits hes doing for me and drop some more off, If you can gather yours together, Id be happy to take your gubbins as well.

Im in compton Martin
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2022, 09:58:49 AM »
Is that this Thursday coming....just to clarify all my stuff has been bead blasted...its really a case of getting rid of the left over media...

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2022, 12:54:58 PM »
Setting off in 10mins ;D
I'm going back in a few weeks to collect so no dramas if you need stuff doing, I use him for cerecote and other finishes, hes only a young bloke but bloody good.
Drop me a pm of what you actually need doing and I'll do my best to help.
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2022, 02:36:41 PM »
Ceracote the ceramic one Roo.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal