Author Topic: Looking for an engine builder for a 400/4  (Read 1144 times)

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Looking for an engine builder for a 400/4
« on: April 25, 2022, 08:15:06 PM »
As above. Ive just joined the forum....ive been on the US forum for the last 2 years or so (didnt know this one existed tbh). Ive got a clean box of bits that i need turning back into an engine....i dont mind doing clutch work, generator and a little bit of top end but dont trust myself building a whole engine. It my late fathers bike so i want it to be right!

Any suggestions would be great. Cheers.

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for an engine builder for a 400/4
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 08:29:52 PM »
Have a read of Julie's thread, you might change your mind and have a go yourself.

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 08:42:58 PM »
Without even looking i really wouldnt want to attemp it...its too valuable (to me) to #@%$ up!

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 08:45:48 PM »
I started my rebuild late in 2020 with no motor cycle experience for about 50 years. Reading Julie's thread plus some U-tube videos that I have previously mentioned during my build gave me the confidence to do my rebuild including the engine. If you get stuck the help is here. Its a great feeling when you fire it up for the first time. Even experts start as beginners.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 08:51:46 PM »
Without even looking i really wouldnt want to attemp it...its too valuable (to me) to #@%$ up!
Autocensor. Don’t you just love it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 08:58:10 PM »
I started my rebuild late in 2020 with no motor cycle experience for about 50 years. Reading Julie's thread plus some U-tube videos that I have previously mentioned during my build gave me the confidence to do my rebuild including the engine. If you get stuck the help is here. Its a great feeling when you fire it up for the first time. Even experts start as beginners.

I dont want to...theres something id miss...an oilway clogged up with something.....something like that and the engine is trashed....i really cant..i can do everything else...stripped my hypermotard down to the frame when the engine seized....a long story but literally a question that wasnt asked and wasnt answered cost me 3.5k! - thats exactly what im talking about..!

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 04:51:16 PM »

I dont want to...theres something id miss...an oilway clogged up with something.....something like that and the engine is trashed....i really cant..i can do everything else...stripped my hypermotard down to the frame when the engine seized....a long story but literally a question that wasnt asked and wasnt answered cost me 3.5k! - thats exactly what im talking about..!

With your past experience I can understand your reluctance might be some middle ground where you strip it down do the basic assessments then get someone to clean it internally it for you and assemble the engine again.

I suspect a lot of period engine builders are expensive due to the labour involved in preparation then giving you some sort of warranty. With the cost of parts then labour I suspect you would be looking at over £3k as a starting point.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 05:37:52 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 10:02:53 AM »
Its ok BrianJ on here has very thankfully stepped up to the plate to help me....as long as i can keep wiring him cash then he can build it....i had a nice conversation with him the other night on the phone and to say he's an expert on the subject is well, an understatement to say the least...i should be taking the engine up this saturday.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal