Author Topic: Great or cover  (Read 5441 times)

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Great or cover
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2022, 07:37:10 PM »
I did, bloody thing. I think I’ll do phone only in the future or crash out on a new laptop. This one has too many bad hair days for my liking now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2022, 07:48:27 PM »
I found a pair in a sealed tupperware container from many moons ago. No way can they be the ones off my bike, so they must be spare.

No idea why it's gold, no idea where I got it from.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2022, 09:24:53 PM »
Let meknow what you want for one nd Ill bung you some readies. :)

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2022, 11:51:09 PM »
make that two,the other has been got at and knackered!

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2022, 12:25:00 AM »
Oh you bugger Roo. Just spent an hour cleaning it up and now I have to go and do the other now as well.

Whilst I was in the garage I spotted my old starter cover, I've decided to see if I can restore it. I like a challenge and boy is this a challenge.

Close up of the corrosion, it's really really rough.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2022, 12:27:53 AM »
Ah mate, don’t clean the other, bless yer, I’ll fettle that. I know you love it but really Ken, I didn’t expect them all done bud.
Any old guff great fully received, you know that.

That looks a blood hell of a challenge, I’ve a slightly less shagged out one of yer like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2022, 12:39:08 AM »
It's cleaned up and soaking in nickel stripper at the moment. Going a lovely shade of copper. Will drop it off for proper stripping at the chromers when I pick up then other stuff, keep forgetting to ring to see when they are ready. Then I'll see about removing the pits and a quick run past the old polishing machine and lets see where we are then. Don't like to throw decent parts away, they ain't making anymore for these bikes so we have to reuse as much as possible.

Up to now this week, I've thrown away a cylinder head, huge depression on the gasket face, 2 valves just fell in half  :o, a breather cover, 3 gears from a gearbox, a camcover which has got a journal totally toasted and it's only Wednesday.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2022, 01:06:14 PM »
I would have cleaned em up and re plated them as theyre only in the headlight ahell/bucket but I really appreciate you doing all that Ken. Do you want the £2,000,000 wiring or is cash ok for now? ;D

Just bobbing down to the chromer and polisher tomorrow morning, see what they can do and how extortionate it's going to be. Depending on price, I might have to paint some bits to bring the cost down after reading some of the horror stories of costs on here, I'm a bit pensive! :-[

We'll see!

Scooting down to the blasters to see holw the cases are doing and to have a look at some other bits hes got for me to grab. Going to have a run down on the VFR and enjoy the dry roads.

Thanks mate 8)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2022, 02:33:30 PM »
Ideally they want the spade connector removing from the nut and a new one fitted. If they were mine that's what I'd be doing. That's why Honda had them copper plated so the solder stuck. Personally I'd grind them off and use a small copper rivet and a ring connector to secure them to the wire and nut. I might have replaced the wire for better stuff as well. Getting like Triggers broom now.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2022, 01:22:16 AM »
STOP DOING STUFF! bless yer. So appreciated mate. ;) :)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2022, 01:37:36 PM »
I've got the other one out and cleaned it last night.

IF I get my zinc/nickel plater up and running this weekend I might drop them in there for a quick refresh  :o :o

Picking up the brake plate lever on Tuesday as they are ready now. Would have gone today but the next batch isn't quite ready to drop in.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2022, 03:13:35 PM »
It wasn't the brake lever I had chromed, it was a gear lever. I intended to take the brake lever this time when I picked up the 1st batch but I couldn't find it and of course as soon as I return there it was in a sealed bag to stop it rusting.

Did you buy the starter motor cover?

I started cleaning up the gold one, I think it was done with one of those wand kits and a battery charger, whatever it came off ok and the cover underneath is in excellent condition. That's going to the chromers next week when I pick up batch number 2 along with the brake arm lever.

I dropped off 3 parts for chroming, the rear brake arm which connects to the brake pedal, the gear change lever part off the 400 lever that clamps to the gear lever shaft and an exhaust clamp that I decided to see how it would come out after me polishing the hell out of it etc. If the clamp comes out ok I'll have the other 5 done I have. Always nice to have spares in case one starts to rust.

The gear lever is pictured in my project thread BTW Roo, it started a lot worse than your brake arm and have a look how it came out. I fully expect the brake arm lever to be even better.

Just thought, I have a spare brake arm lever that I had chromed 2 years ago when I first started the restoration, if your interested I might be up for selling it. It's really good. It has a stainless steel pinch bolt and washer so no rust.

Oh forgot to add.

Saw this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134105600315?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l3160&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=3df099f90983475cad0706e198ec7def&bu=43136868494&ut=RU&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20220504064530&segname=11021&sojTags=ch%3Dch%2Cbu%3Dbu%2Cut%3Dut%2Cosub%3Dosub%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 03:20:45 PM by Oddjob »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2022, 12:13:56 AM »
Just to add, I put the starter motor cover in some nickel remover and it just ate it, it looked like a doily afterwards so I threw it away.

Some you win and some just take the piss.

Need a favour Roo, if you have a good gear lever can you take a close up of the spline area so I can see where the alignment dot is supposed to be, both of mine are missing having been sanded or ground off so I need to count the teeth of the splines so I know exactly where it's supposed to be.

For instance, that brake arm has the dot 3 splines down on the right hand side.   

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2022, 11:50:19 AM »
Hi Ken,

I did get a starter cover but its yet to turn up from accross the pond so while I'm waiting I've started to try to get this brake lever cleaned up. I've managed to get it roughly back into shape and started to fill all the 'rough' off it but its going to take a while I think but all Ive to do today is to get my fishing gear together for the weekend and Ill be back at it in the shed.

I'm having monster PC issues again, (Dont buy a chromebook, theyr're absolute shite!) which means I have no history on a number of devices so cant tell if any emails are actually reaching you ken, I sent some piccies of the fork bottoms that apopear to be CB550 so all good there but if the offer of the forks is still on then I'll have them mate (chromed if poss but no worries if not)
I still need that rotor off you also.

Let me see how this brake arm turns out and Ill let you know if your old one is required mate.

I've been  reading the thread on that gear change lever, coming on mate, told you it jhad been abused badly didnt I?  ::)The lad was 17 when he had this so he treated like most 17 year olds...............with little respect sadly which has been evident throughout the build up. We've all been 17 though ;D ;D

That brake arm looks awesome Ken, well done mate. Let me know how you get on and whats coming my way as and when.

Thanks mate 8)

I'll get you some piccies in a bit, still doing phone calls and then going outside to start ....if you could hang on an hour?

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2022, 02:09:34 PM »
Got an email with pics of stanchions but nothing with fork sliders. There was one pic of the stanchions where the fork sliders were in view, they looked like 550 ones but you'd need to measure them and I'll compare to mine. There's usually some sort of model code either stamped into the slider or moulded into the slider, on the back where the rough section is around the caliper clamp.

Rotor?? have we discussed a rotor? We discussed some earthing parts for the headlight.

I'm stuck on the gear lever at the moment. It's converted and works extremely well. However I need to alter the shape of the lever a little and my Mapp gas burner doesn't get the metal hot enough to really do this easily. So I'm ordering a small, portable oxy/gas torch set, not acetylene but Mapp and Oxygen with burns a LOT hotter. I'll use it to braze some stuff and hopefully weld a few parts I was going to pay someone else to do. I'll also see if I can straighten out my side stand with has a very slight curve in it and that Mapp gas I'm using now wouldn't even get cherry red so I could bend it back.

Chroming has started to be done, a lot of hard work still to be done, some of which will raise a few eyebrows as it's way OTT but that's how I like to work. Tales longer but the results are much better, well I hope they are. The speedo/tacho dishes came back the other day, they weren't that bad but I decided to buy new ones instead, they are stainless by the look of them, however I decided to try and see if I could maybe use the originals instead. The problem is that like the starter cover the metal isn't very thick, so you have not a lot to work with and if your hamfisted you'll go right through it. However I'm giving it a go, only doing one ATM to see if it knackers up, if so I'll scrap them both. Coming on ok ATM but early days.

With a bit of luck I'll be going to the hard chromers next week, got to get all my stuff ready first. I'll drop off the stanchions at the same time.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal