Author Topic: 550 F2 - ignition coils required. OEM or equivelant?  (Read 2782 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: 550 F2 - ignition coils required. OEM or equivelant?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2022, 04:48:52 PM »
The 500/550 coils though don't snake at all, straight in and straight out. So the smaller hole way of doing them works just great IMO, I have fitted one set of leads in the coil body, I used a 1m length of HT lead and didn't cut it, so it's a large loop at the moment, I put silicon sealant on the end as it slid in so it sealed after fitting. I also intend to slide the outer lead cover right up to both the cap and the coil so in essence the lead is not exposed to the weather at all. The reasoning behind the loop was to ensure I could cut the lead where I wanted so there was no chance of it being too short, as my coils face backward and route across the top of the engine I find having them slightly longer than standard helps to route them completely out of the way.

We'll see if the idea pans out I suppose.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2022, 05:34:29 PM »
The 500/550 coils though don't snake at all, straight in and straight out. So the smaller hole way of doing them works just great IMO, I have fitted one set of leads in the coil body, I used a 1m length of HT lead and didn't cut it, so it's a large loop at the moment, I put silicon sealant on the end as it slid in so it sealed after fitting. I also intend to slide the outer lead cover right up to both the cap and the coil so in essence the lead is not exposed to the weather at all. The reasoning behind the loop was to ensure I could cut the lead where I wanted so there was no chance of it being too short, as my coils face backward and route across the top of the engine I find having them slightly longer than standard helps to route them completely out of the way.

We'll see if the idea pans out I suppose.

You won't get a strong enough bond with silicone IMHO but just my tuppence worth.

I have done all of mine anyway now including the ones for my Honda twins and S90 single. So never likely to do any more  ;)
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2022, 05:43:06 PM »
The hole is still empty though Ash, so if I filled it mostly will that stuff you sent me wouldn't that not only seal the lead into the body but hold it there as well when it sets?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2022, 06:06:42 PM »
The hole is still empty though Ash, so if I filled it mostly will that stuff you sent me wouldn't that not only seal the lead into the body but hold it there as well when it sets?

As I have always said Ken .. each to their own. I have done loads of coils for people on here using my original method  but concentrating on getting all of my  bikes built up now so not doing any more, as I don't really have the time.

Incidentally, only ever found one coil to be unsuitable for re-furbing . It had a really low secondary resistance ... something like 9k Ohms instead of  typically around 14k for a 'good' one. My only explanation was that it had possibly been used on a CDi system and run without a plug connected or when it was open circuit due to HT lead fracture .. in which case the higher than normal HT voltage generated by the Cdi may have flashed over between the winding wire coils ...just a theory though ..could be b*llocks.  ;D
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2022, 07:33:09 AM »
I can vouch for ash and his refurb method. In recognition of my complete incompetence he was kind enough to refurb my coils…they are as goos as new and function flawlessly. Based on my own experience I’d recommend his method every time.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2022, 11:10:26 AM »
Im doing it and already on with faffing in the shed! 8)
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Rolfbulmer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2022, 02:14:55 PM »
Ok, I am going to try the repair option.
Any tips please on how to replace the LT leads also.
1977 Honda CB550F - Cafe racer project bike
2001 Honda Hornet 600  - All weather bike
2019 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 - Dry and sunny weather bike

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2022, 02:28:21 PM »
LT leads? Are you saying the wiring loom is beyond repair?

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2022, 02:36:19 PM »
No I think he's referring to the leads from the coils TO the loom. Not done mine yet but it looks like they'll just unsolder from the coils.

Online deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2022, 03:41:17 PM »
No I think he's referring to the leads from the coils TO the loom. Not done mine yet but it looks like they'll just unsolder from the coils.
Yes, they do. Where they connect the coils, you may find some isolating black goo, but you can scrape it off.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2022, 06:16:22 PM »

Got it. I’d considered that, but was lucky they were sound.

Offline Rolfbulmer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2022, 10:25:28 PM »
Yes, I was referring to the leads coming off the coils. Thanks for the tips.
1977 Honda CB550F - Cafe racer project bike
2001 Honda Hornet 600  - All weather bike
2019 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 - Dry and sunny weather bike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal