Author Topic: Does torque spec change with SS allen head bolts?  (Read 881 times)

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Does torque spec change with SS allen head bolts?
« on: May 06, 2022, 07:23:19 AM »
Hey all

I ordered stainless steel allen head bolts for my engine job, and just wondered if the torque spec changes when using them. I am using nickel grease with every single one of them.

Also, what's the take on following the torque specs in general? I see most people recommend following torque spec with bottom end and head, and then just recommending hand tight with all the covers and the rest.

What do you think?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Does torque spec change with SS allen head bolts?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 07:55:49 AM »
Torque for ends, mains, head and rotor. Sensible tight for the rest BUT i am talking doing it for 40 yrs sensible!

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 08:13:41 AM »
Torque for ends, mains, head and rotor. Sensible tight for the rest BUT i am talking doing it for 40 yrs sensible!

What about "never-having-done-this-before" sensible? How does that feel? 😂

Is it advisable to Loctite the rotor bolt?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 08:16:24 AM by alexdecker »

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 10:28:43 AM »
As a very basic rule, 6mm is 6ftlb, 8mm is 8ftlb. Again as a basic rule and doesn’t apply to high load critical fixings or high tensile etc. nip it up and another 1/8th turn. Again, it’s just a feel thing.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 12:13:05 PM »
A second engineer i sailed with told me "till it snaps and back half a turn" got really peed off with me when i did a flange joint with 3/8 bsf like that

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 12:45:32 PM »
A second engineer i sailed with told me "till it snaps and back half a turn" got really peed off with me when i did a flange joint with 3/8 bsf like that

;D

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 12:50:16 PM »
Additionally, a traditional Allen key has a built in torque setting in use. When nearly tight, use just your finger right at the end of the lever and it'll start to bend (springy) just as it reaches the tight enough point, the reason they are all different lengths to facilitate this.

For the OP all bolts made of steel into aluminium threads will ultimately strip the aluminium threads out if too tight, and so you're right to be careful in assembly of this.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal