Author Topic: Sending a bike to USA?  (Read 849 times)

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Sending a bike to USA?
« on: May 11, 2022, 10:08:47 AM »
I have been trying to sell an old British bike for a while now with limited success in the current economic climate. However, in response I have received an enquiry asking if I would be happy to ship it to USA. Immediate response is that it is a scam, but equally I have never sold aboard and would not really want the hassle.

In any event I just replied that it was for UK sale only. The guy has responded stating that he would be happy to arrange all the shipping? It could still be a scam, but equally it could be a genuine sale enquiry and once the money is cleared and in the bank where it goes I am not too bothered about particularly if as he has indicated he is happy to sort out all the shipping?

Has anybody here actually shipped a vehicle to the States and can advise what is involved so that I can better understand of the process and equally see it the guy is just leading me on and it is nothing more than a scam?

Thanks

Andy

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Sending a bike to USA?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 12:29:59 PM »
You would have to securely fix it into a shipping crate and if he arrages everything plus pays first you should have no risk BUT insist he puts on full insurance cover then if its damaged of lost in transit it again its not your problem

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 02:32:18 PM »
Roy brought a bike in fairly recently and dealt with a chap a lot had heard about on here and appears to be one of the main men in the country for bringing stuff over, perhaps Roy might pass you his details and he could possibly advise you on what's the norm and what to look out for if it appears a bit of a scam etc.

Roys Thread is:
Project Board / Re: Honda CB750K5 Restoration by Royhall

Worth an ask?
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 03:33:40 PM »
Thanks for the replies and advice.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 11:23:43 PM »
Andy,

4 years ago I shipped my 5 bikes from the UK to Brisbane. Tbh, it was fairly painless; the worst aspect was dealing with the Australian side, but even that wasn’t too bad. Getting the right help was the key; and this was minimised by finding a great Oz importer … and shipper: Roddy (below).

As a starter try roddy@motofreight.com, who is a Uk based shipper and could arrange that side of things. Roddy deals with various bike exporters, and just might be able to put you in touch with a good UK-America one - who would hopefully guide you on all the paperworks.

Good luck,
Simon
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 11:47:51 PM by Lobo »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 11:46:55 PM »
…just a couple of further considerations, which hopefully won’t apply to the US?

Oz is anal about Bio-protections and so wooden crates were ‘out’. Which was a win coz Roddy turned up with a van in Hampshire, bundled the bikes in, and the next I saw them was on my driveway in Brisbane coming out of a similar van. (they were lashed into a shipping container in between)

Oz is also anal wrt asbestos, and a declaration for each bike was required - obtained from my local friendly MOT guy. Regardless, Oz retained the right to refuse import upon inspection, and return would be at the owners cost. If such restrictions would apply in the ‘states, remember it’s not only the brake pads, but clutch and gaskets. (I took all the brake pads out…)

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 11:50:48 PM by Lobo »

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 07:31:08 PM »
Thanks Lobo for you very helpful advice and suggestions.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal