Author Topic: Can someone explain a kickstarter to me?  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone explain a kickstarter to me?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2022, 12:04:09 PM »
That’s what we used to call ‘Panther leg’. Look it up😀

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2022, 01:06:54 PM »
That’s what we used to call ‘Panther leg’. Look it up😀

Not heard that for a long time Phil ;D
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2022, 02:46:49 PM »
Aye. 600cc sloper single built in Cleckheaton  I think. If it backfired it broke your leg or launched you over the bars…sometimes both. All panther owners walked with a limp due to an overdeveloped leg or break deformity😀

Offline Yetanotherbike

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2022, 05:13:42 PM »
In my youff, I briefly owned a Ducati 860GTS, which basically a less glamorous looking Ducati 900, same engine though. The electric start was interesting, or electric leg as we call them back in the day. Basically you pressed the button and the engine made a whirring sound and the exhaust went BOP BOP BOP BOP, but didn't actually start. The kick starter if I recall was really long and actually went under the foot peg. I'm sure it was possible when trying to kick it over to stamp your foot on the ground when your leg was fully extended. Again if I recall, I had to lean the bike over to the left to stop my foot hitting the ground when trying to kick start the beast.
In many way I wish I could develop Panther leg. I've tried to buy a Panther twice and both times have ended in failure. The first time I drove up to Scotland from Wales to find a beautiful looking Panther with a different frame number to the V5. I drew it to the attention of the owner and he suggested I could grind it off and re-stamp it. Needless to say it stayed there. Such a shame as it was gorgeous. The second Panther was owned by an imbecile. His girlfriend put it on fleabay without his knowledge! When I won the auction, I discovered it wasn't even UK registered, but in the advert she described how much fun it was to ride it up and down the hills of Yorkshire.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 06:21:13 PM by Yetanotherbike »

Online mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2022, 05:55:22 PM »
Funny thing after the discussion about the sloper Panthers i saw one the other day near scunthorpe, and yes about one bang per lampost!
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2022, 10:15:52 AM »
The Superdream started off with a kick-start and was then deleted.   A bad move in my opinion.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal