Author Topic: Relined rear hub.  (Read 998 times)

Offline Zoltan

• View Profile
Relined rear hub.
« on: September 30, 2020, 06:17:58 PM »
My original chromed rims and spokes were not in the best of condition and the rear hub had the usual badly cracked brake lining which made the back brake not safe to use and kept the bike off the road..  After hunting high and low for a long time for someone who not only said they could fix the hub but who I could also trust with my wheels. Then, unexpectedly, Google did its job and found a blog in which a traditional engineering shop only 20 or so miles from me, was writing about restoration of various motorcycles, including the relining of brake drums. A quick exchange of emails convinced me to hand my wheels over to Terry who was 100% confident that he could do the job, having done this numerous times before. We also discussed wheel building, using 316 stainless steel. Terry's workshop is very traditional with all sorts of equipment for practising the dark arts of engineering. There are also several wonderful motorcycles in various states of restoration, the work looking to be of a very high standard. Terry did my job in 4 days and I duly collected two immaculately rebuilt wheels with polished hubs. The rear brake lining had been custom machined for the hub and shrunk into place reinforced by the same adhesive that is used to glue brake shoes to their backing plates.

The man himself is Terry Ives, Stotfold Engineering, Biggleswade - look him up. He used to race Bantams and an Ariel Red Hunter amongst many other bikes. He tackles any engineering project, not just motorcycles. Pick through his blogs, some are quite entertaining, especially his views on BMW spoked wheel rebuilds!
Honda CB550F2, 1977
Honda ST1300 Pan European, 2016

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Relined rear hub.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 07:52:51 PM »
The adhesive for brake shoes is not strong enough on metal to metal, i tested this many years ago.
I always shrink my liners in and pin them  ;)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 08:37:15 PM »
I haven't checked my rear drum yet but do you do the hub re-line Graham?
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 09:05:26 PM »
In a previous life I machined parts to recondition  Challenger  tank hydraulic steering units and would sleeve worn bearing surfaces by shrinking a sleeve in using araldite to bond it.I’d still pin a brake hub sleeve😁
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Offline Zoltan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 09:22:12 AM »
Mine are shrunk in and pinned.  The brake shoe adhesive is to seal the join between the liner and the hub and prevent any moisture getting in.  I had access to 3 hubs dated 1977 to 1979 and the liners were cracked on all of them. I chose to repair my original hub.
Honda CB550F2, 1977
Honda ST1300 Pan European, 2016

Online Charliecharlcomb

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Cracked Brake drum repair
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 10:55:40 AM »
My original chromed rims and spokes were not in the best of condition and the rear hub had the usual badly cracked brake lining which made the back brake not safe to use and kept the bike off the road..  After hunting high and low for a long time for someone who not only said they could fix the hub but who I could also trust with my wheels. Then, unexpectedly, Google did its job and found a blog in which a traditional engineering shop only 20 or so miles from me, was writing about restoration of various motorcycles, including the relining of brake drums. A quick exchange of emails convinced me to hand my wheels over to Terry who was 100% confident that he could do the job, having done this numerous times before. We also discussed wheel building, using 316 stainless steel. Terry's workshop is very traditional with all sorts of equipment for practising the dark arts of engineering. There are also several wonderful motorcycles in various states of restoration, the work looking to be of a very high standard. Terry did my job in 4 days and I duly collected two immaculately rebuilt wheels with polished hubs. The rear brake lining had been custom machined for the hub and shrunk into place reinforced by the same adhesive that is used to glue brake shoes to their backing plates.

The man himself is Terry Ives, Stotfold Engineering, Biggleswade - look him up. He used to race Bantams and an Ariel Red Hunter amongst many other bikes. He tackles any engineering project, not just motorcycles. Pick through his blogs, some are quite entertaining, especially his views on BMW spoked wheel rebuilds!

I'm in exactly the same boat here. I think it's been like this for a very long time and doesn't seem to affect performance but I owe it to the bike and to safety to sort this out. Is Terry Ives still the best person to send this to or does anyone else have any other solutions I should follow up?

I'm assuming new brake drums are no longer available?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal