SOHC.co.uk Forums > SOHC Singles & Twins

Detecting clutch slip via kickstart

(1/2) > >>

Oggers:
Gents

I neeed to know when the clutch is just slipping. You can do this with the kickstart, and clearly if the clutch is slipping badly then on kickstart there will be no turning of the engine! However, I want to discern when it is just starting to slip using the kickstart - what are the symptoms please?

Cheers

K2-K6:
Unsure if you can check this way.

Hazy memory, but thought the kickstart drives direct to the primary shaft input to the clutch (effectively bypassing the plates) so that the engine can be started with kickstart even when in gear.

Perhaps someone can verify by pulling clutch and trying the kickstart for you.

SteveD CB500K0:
Surely it depends on what bike?

Checks forum section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oggers:
I should have mentioned this is not a Honda- rather a 58 Velocette Viper where drive from the kickstart to the box then via the clutch to the primary drive. I need to be able to tell when I just have clutch slip in order to adjust the clutch. Velos have a unique adjustment technique.

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
I would have thought if you put the bike in gear with the rear brake on - then whilst depressing the kick start start pulling in the clutch at the point of slipping the starter pedal will go down. Might be a 2 person task. Then adjusting the clutch mechanism will move the bite point to your chosen position.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version