Author Topic: Parcels from Japan  (Read 1344 times)

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Parcels from Japan
« on: May 23, 2022, 04:35:23 PM »
My wife was due to receive a number of books bought in Japan (so that they are in her own language) and posted by one of her school friends. Today her friend telephoned to say that the Postal Service in Japan have refused to accept them for dispatch.

It seems, after research, that due to the reduction in flights between Japan and Europe caused by their inability to transit Russian Airspace at present, postal services by air mail have been suspended to many countries around the world, including the U.K.

At present, there is no indication of when things might return to normal and parcels in transit are being returned to sender. Presumably, parts sourced from Japan will also be affected?

I do wonder whether this is also an effect of "ETOPS", the distance that twin - engine aircraft have historically been allowed to operate out of range of suitable emergency landing facilities?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Parcels from Japan
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 05:16:35 PM »
I get weekly parts delivery from Japan by DHL and UPS with no problems  :o

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 06:40:49 PM »
May well be down to the individual postal service / courier concerned.

Items sent by most international parcel carriers never go direct from A-B ... they go by various international hubs and concentration centres. Allows for more cost effective shipping, as you can cull off traffic for different regions. Various international agreements and corporate deals get invovled, and these often invovle national postal systems acting as agents at either end too.

So...really...you may well be able to get your books if you use another carrier, and the Japanese postal service just doesn;t have the flexibility in it's network partners to offer alternate routes when areas of airspace are closed down.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 07:20:44 AM »
Just looked at the detailed tracking of the last two packages i had from Japan and non of them went any were near Russia.

UPS - Japan - Shenzhen - UAE - Frankfurt - UK
DHL - Japan - Cincinnati USA - New York- UK

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 06:56:03 PM »
Just looked at the detailed tracking of the last two packages i had from Japan and non of them went any were near Russia.

Thats just over flying Russia Trig, not landing there.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2022, 08:35:09 PM »

Thats just over flying Russia Trig, not landing there.

You need to go back to school for geography as, non of these fights would not be anywhere near Russian airspace  ;)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 10:03:47 PM »
Just saying they have banned over flying Russia. Sometimes freight can take unusual routes and in this case between Japan and Frankfurt a part of Russia is directly en- route, namely the Caspian sea and river Volga area. Some cargo only companies used to land in Russia en-route to refuel due to the lower cost, but due to not unloading and scanning the cargo the tracking never shows they were there.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 10:33:16 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2022, 07:29:37 AM »
As Sumpmagnet has already stated, to keep costs down you never get a package on a direct flight. Japan to Shenzhen to UAE were a plane would refuel ( as this is a place for cheap fuel ) and on to Frankfurt would be 2000 miles from the caspian sea. 

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2022, 08:09:14 AM »
There's tons out there on the internet about aircraft re-routing due to the Ukraine war. If they never went near Russia why would all the worlds airlines be taking a longer detour. Of course they flew through Russia. And as Flatfour says they are rejecting and returning parcels in Japan. For no reason I assume. Doesn't mean it's not happening just because your getting your parcels. You can have the last word Trig as I'm done with this pointless argument.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 08:17:18 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2022, 10:47:29 AM »
A bit off the subject......but many Cargo Ships presently can't/ won't/ don't sail anywhere near the Black Sea as its now classed as a 'War Zone' by many Insurance Companies........i.e. they won't insure Ships (or their cargoes) which are damaged or lost in the area.

I suppose that this also contributes to some of the present difficulties that Major Global Manufacturers and International Freight Companies are experiencing in shipping/ moving stuff around the globe.

Even Mad Vlad is having to bring his ancient Tanks out of storage because he can't keep his newer Tanks on the road due to having no spares for them.....apparently many of the spares for the Russian Military machine are made in Ukraine ! Somebody didn't think that one through properly did they !

I also suppose that things will get much worse before they get any better !
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2022, 11:40:08 AM »
The current situation regarding Russian airspace is a bit confused, as you might expect. The current NOTAMS, Notices to Airmen, which notify airspace changes, only seem to restrict operators from Ukraine airspace and neighbouring countries. Restrictions to Russian airspace only apply to 160 to 200 nautical miles from the Ukraine border (depends which countries NOTAMS you look at). This is to try and avoid another shooting down incident.

Also, the USA and other countries banned Russian aircraft from flying in their airspace. Russia then banned other countries' aircraft from flying in their airspace in a tit for tat decision. That's purely political, but airlines and insurance companies are avoiding any risk of losing an aircraft and the self-loading cargo(passengers) on board.

USA NOTAM
Source: USA
Reference: Notam KICZ A0005/22
Issued: 24-Feb-22, valid until: Ongoing
Plain English: US operators are prohibited from Russian airspace within 160nm of the FIR boundaries with Ukraine.
SECURITY..UNITED STATES OF AMERICA PROHIBITION FOR SPECIFIED AREAS OF THE MOSCOW(UUWV), SAMARA (UWWW) AND ROSTOV-NA DONU FIR (URRV) FLIGHT INFORMATION REGIONS. THOSE PERSONS DESCRIBED IN PARAGRAPH A (APPLICABILITY) BELOW ARE PROHIBITED FROM OPERATING AT ALL ALTITUDES IN THE MOSCOW FLIGHT INFORMATION REGION (FIR) (UUWV), THE SAMARA FIR (UWWW), AND THE ROSTOV-NA DONU FIR (URRV) WITHIN 160NM OF THE BOUNDARIES WITH THE DNIPRO FIR (UKDV), THE SIMFEROPOL FIR (UKFV), AND THE KYIV FIR (UKBV) (INCLUDES THAT PORTION OF THE KYIV UPPER INFORMATION REGION (UIR) (UKBU) AIRSPACE WITHIN THE LATERAL LIMITS OF THE UKDV, UKFV, AND UKBV FIRS) DUE TO SAFETY-OF FLIGHT RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH ONGOING HOSTILITIES.
A. APPLICABILITY. THIS NOTAM APPLIES TO: ALL U.S. AIR CARRIERS AND COMMERCIAL OPERATORS; ALL PERSONS EXERCISING THE PRIVILEGES OF AN AIRMAN CERTIFICATE ISSUED BY THE FAA, EXCEPT SUCH PERSONS OPERATING U.S.-REGISTERED AIRCRAFT FOR A FOREIGN AIR CARRIER; AND ALL OPERATORS OF CIVIL AIRCRAFT REGISTERED IN THE UNITED STATES, EXCEPT WHEN THE OPERATOR OF SUCH AIRCRAFT IS A FOREIGN AIR CARRIER.
B. PERMITTED OPERATIONS. THIS NOTAM DOES NOT PROHIBIT PERSONS DESCRIBED IN PARAGRAPH A (APPLICABILITY) ABOVE FROM CONDUCTING FLIGHT OPERATIONS IN THE ABOVE-NAMED AREA WHEN SUCH OPERATIONS ARE AUTHORIZED EITHER BY ANOTHER AGENCY OF THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT WITH THE APPROVAL OF THE FAA OR BY A DEVIATION, EXEMPTION, OR OTHER AUTHORIZATION ISSUED BY THE FAA ADMINISTRATOR. OPERATORS MUST CALL THE FAA WASHINGTON OPERATIONS CENTER AT 202-267-3333 TO INITIATE COORDINATION FOR FAA AUTHORIZATION TO CONDUCT OPERATIONS.
C. EMERGENCY SITUATIONS. IN AN EMERGENCY REQUIRING IMMEDIATE DECISION AND ACTION FOR THE SAFETY OF THE FLIGHT, THE PILOT IN COMMAND OF AN AIRCRAFT MAY DEVIATE FROM THIS NOTAM TO THE EXTENT REQUIRED BY THAT EMERGENCY.
THIS NOTAM IS AN EMERGENCY ORDER ISSUED UNDER 49 USC 40113(A), 44701(A)(5), AND 46105(C). ADDITIONAL INFORMATION IS PROVIDED AT: http://HTTPS://WWW.FAA.GOV/AIR_TRAFFIC/PUBLICATIONS/US_RESTRICTIONS/.
SFC - FL999, 24 FEB 19:30 2022 UNTIL PERM. CREATED: 24 FEB 19:23 2022
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2022, 01:53:13 PM »
Interesting topic, with the ultimate answers dictated by commercial decisions as you can certainly get from Japan to the UK avoiding Russia.

The top pic is from Flight Radar 24, which certainly shows how quiet Russian airspace is right now - unsurprisingly!

The lower pic illustrates the Great Circle route (ie shortest distance) between the two points, noting the distance to be 9600km (5200nm). If, however you choose to operate via (eg) Dubai, the distance goes up to a whopping 13500km (7300nm), giving any accountant an attack of the vapours.

An awful lot of freight is not necessarily carried by dedicated freight aircraft, but rather ‘underfloor’ on pax types: in my past life we typically carried 20+ tonnes of meat from Melbourne to Dubai on our B787 pax service. The point is; if the pax service is compromised through war, covid… whatever, then freight will be too on those contracts.

So, I guess, costs will be much higher due re-routes, and curtailed services may be stopping other freightings, suggesting no definitive answer?

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2022, 01:58:50 PM »
My Neighbour is a TUI Pilot.......as things improved after the Lockdown and he started Flying again regularly (before things started to get busy again with passenger flights), he was flying Freight to USA.....TUI had taken the seats out of a lot of their Aircraft as Freight was becoming the norm.....and the only thing paying the bills.

I don't know whether things have changed or if TUI are still flying Freight....rather than peeps.
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2022, 10:40:31 PM »
Bloody glad to hear it Alan - TUI pays my pension 😂. (started out with Britannia / Manchester - the good old days)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal