Author Topic: Ultrasonic cleaning  (Read 940 times)

oldchuffer

Ultrasonic cleaning
« on: May 24, 2022, 03:25:06 PM »
I'll soon be getting out my ultrasonic cleaner to do my carbuettor, I've heard some people add a bit of washing up liquid, others add special fluid.  Anyone have advice as to whats best as an additive?

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Ultrasonic cleaning
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 03:29:20 PM »
I'm not at home at the moment, so can't tell you exactly which fluids I use. However, there are 2 that I use and they are bought from these guys.
https://www.allendale-ultrasonics.co.uk/
One I use is a carb cleaner and the other is a de-oxidising one.
They are very helpful people.

Matt
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 05:36:03 PM »
Yes, that's the one! And of course it's diluted, so it goes a long way.....
Matt
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

oldchuffer

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 07:06:20 PM »
Thanks guys, thats great.

Offline alfiembra

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 03:22:52 PM »
If you haven’t used one before I’d temper your expectations on the results of using your ultrasonic cleaner. I’ve had mixed results with mine, what I’ve found is very heavily contaminated parts don’t clean up that well and I’d clean as much off by hand before you put anything into the cleaner. I’ve used the carb cleaner in mine and I’d say it was ok, again things don’t come out gleaming looking brand new but they do serve a purpose. Something I’ve tried which has given good results is, if it’s only small parts you are cleaning, get a glass jam jar and fill it with evaporust or petrol put your parts in it then put that into the cleaner and run it. Watch as the jar and contents will displace a fair bit of whatever solution you have in your cleaner. The neat fluid really gets into the dirt and contains the contamination in the jar. HTH.

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 07:30:15 PM »
Stuff I've been using is from a company called mistralie - for 5l about the same cost as allendale but big savings if buying more.
Also used some of their other chemicals in the past and seemed to work well.
Agree that ultrasonic isn't a miracle process but certainly very useful to clean up awkward parts and results can be really good.
Cheers,
Andy

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2022, 10:27:02 PM »
I generally agree wrt the effectiveness of ‘eBay’ Ultrasonic cleaners. Small, light components and indeed mine’s good; I was especially impressed at a recent cleaning of a wiring loom - the insides (& outsides!) of the plugs, spades and all, were gleaming. Shove anything heavy into the cleaner however, and the results are nothing special.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal