Author Topic: CB466f  (Read 20963 times)

Offline Erwin83

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: CB350f - 466cc / Black / Clubman / Giuliari
« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2021, 05:28:19 PM »
Another little step. Something seems to run a litle bit more heavy than normal. But what exactly?

I opened the tappet cover and the generator cover, also removed the sparkplugs.
I can turn the rotor (and therefore crankshaft) a little bit by hand (probaby the slack in the primary chain). When I turn the rotor, the camshaft immediately also starts moving, so there is no exces slack in the cam-chain.

More importantly: rotating this small distance is very easy (2 fingers). So I am lead to believe the resistance is not caused by the crankshaft bearings (camshaft looks fine too). I also don't see any glitter in the oil collected under the camshaft.

So, the resistance might be caused somewhere down the line, but what?
There are large bearings for the primary shaft. Those don't need any force to install and seem fairly oversized and extremely well lubricated.

Maybe the needle bearing of the primary shaft?
I did use a rubber mallet to massage the primary axle through the bearing and holder.. Have I destroyed that? How to diagnose this without splitting the cases again, is that even possible?
CB466f - KTM 1190 advR

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 22, 2021, 08:58:32 PM »
Another little step. Something seems to run a litle bit more heavy than normal. But what exactly?

I opened the tappet cover and the generator cover, also removed the sparkplugs.
I can turn the rotor (and therefore crankshaft) a little bit by hand (probaby the slack in the primary chain). When I turn the rotor, the camshaft immediately also starts moving, so there is no exces slack in the cam-chain.

More importantly: rotating this small distance is very easy (2 fingers). So I am lead to believe the resistance is not caused by the crankshaft bearings (camshaft looks fine too). I also don't see any glitter in the oil collected under the camshaft.

So, the resistance might be caused somewhere down the line, but what?
There are large bearings for the primary shaft. Those don't need any force to install and seem fairly oversized and extremely well lubricated.

Maybe the needle bearing of the primary shaft?
I did use a rubber mallet to massage the primary axle through the bearing and holder.. Have I destroyed that? How to diagnose this without splitting the cases again, is that even possible?
My shaft pushed in easily by hand once I had got everything aligned - it was just getting the first 1mm into the main bearing  that thwarted me for a few minutes until I rotated the crank a tad. I would have thought you could inspect the needle roller  by pulling out the shaft and looking inside with a good beam of light to see if the needles are damaged?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Erwin83

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2021, 09:01:03 PM »
Found it!

Apparently, I have forgotten to tighten the bolt in the primary shaft.  :-[
The bolt came loose and almost came out of the clutch cover...
Big oops...

I've alread found a new clutch cover, so the plan now is to flush the oil system twice (new oil and filter) to get rid of any aluminium shavings.

Good idea?

« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 09:02:40 PM by Erwin83 »
CB466f - KTM 1190 advR

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2021, 11:34:33 PM »
Found it!

Apparently, I have forgotten to tighten the bolt in the primary shaft.  :-[
The bolt came loose and almost came out of the clutch cover...
Big oops...

I've alread found a new clutch cover, so the plan now is to flush the oil system twice (new oil and filter) to get rid of any aluminium shavings.

Good idea?

Yikes - well done at least you do not have to split the casings - obviously you will drop the sump pan to clean the screen filter & the base of the sump.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2021, 09:28:19 PM »
Phew, not as bad as it could have been!
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Erwin83

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: CB466f
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2022, 08:30:21 AM »
Finally some time to ride, and after all the work I can confirm... She is finally free of any oil leaks. I guess this is the first time in 19 years of ownership she has not been leaking any oil  ;D.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
CB466f - KTM 1190 advR

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB466f
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2022, 09:28:36 AM »
Very good looking bike, especially that 3/4 view from the rear angle, some very nice work there.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal