Author Topic: Wiring loom  (Read 4227 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re: Wiring loom
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2022, 11:37:04 AM »
Thanks Clive; I have a nice ratcheting tool and so 1/2 way there. Still pondering cable types, the choice in colour fidelity may prove the decider.

Any comments on installing a 15’ of thin wall vs conventional wire loom the length of my old Splitscreen Kombi - given I’ll be on my back on the floor and passing it through various frames? (I’ll admit - something I’m not looking forward to 😂)

Simon

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2022, 01:05:25 PM »
Thin-wall insulated cable is a better alternative to the traditional pvc insulated cable, which had a very low temperature/melting point. Crimping of terminals can be an  issue as the thin-wall insulation is thinner and harder, so finding the right crimp tool for your chosen terminals can be a problem...practice and sample 'pull-off' terminal checks are essential before you start assembling the new loom.
Image attach of my current selection of crimp tools.
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline bruxby-clive

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2022, 01:48:08 PM »
Simon, good luck with the rewire of your camper, take your time and I am sure it will work out fine. Alan thanks for your input.
Just because you are breathing, doesn't mean you are alive.

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2022, 05:18:03 PM »
Nice job Simon, I have used the self amalgamating tape to 'seal' connectors on my Guzzi to great effect but prefer the PVC harness tape on the loom itself. Having recently stripped back a new loom on my Alfa (to modify the loom) I notice that the loom is held in place using insulating tape prior to being wrapped.
Matt
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline bruxby-clive

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2022, 06:53:52 PM »
Final part of the loom replacement, I have refitted it to the bike and am very pleased as everything works apart from the reg / rec, but replacing the loom was not going to fix that. I have retaken the voltage readings again and the results are shown below.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

12.61 volts with the ignition switched off.

11.87 with the ignition on, but it dawned on me that both coils would be live and all of the warning lights are also on. Removing the 9 pin connector to the warning lights and disconnecting the 2 coils gave me a reading shown below.

12.60 volts, if you factor in the voltage drop of  0.74 of a volt, this is from a battery that needs recharging after running the bike for approximately 20 to 30 minutes without any charging that seems quite good to me. if we subtract 0.74 of the first reading I got at the beginning 12.72 volts, I should have had a reading of around 11.98 volts, so the new loom has reduced the volt drop by 1.36 volts or around 10%, there is a formula to work out the resistance in the old loom but I can't remember it. All in all I believe thee work was worthwhile and I hope this may encourage someone else to have a go at creating or repairing their own wiring looms.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2022, 11:17:55 PM »
Alan, Clive…. would stripping (eg) 25 mm of thin wall, and then winding this down around the insulation work effectively for crimping?

How do the manufacturers achieve quality thin wall crimps?

At the mo, given the size of (eg) the spade terminals involved, I’m shying away from Thin wall tbh - there’s no point if connections are in any doubt?

Offline bruxby-clive

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2022, 06:42:34 AM »
Simon, I have never had any issues with a successful crimp on the cable where the insulation is, it is the stripped end that causes me the issue, only on the 1mm cable, 2mm crimps just fine, that's why I decided to bend mine over before crimping, doesn't look quite so tidy as   just the straight bit of cable being joined to the connector, but mechanically stronger. Also as Alan mentioned I always give each joint a pull, before I make the crimp to the insulated part of the cable. Would probably be easier with ratchet crimper but I haven't got one. As for how the manufacturers do it I have no idea, but guess they may have an individual tool for each individual type of connector. Hope this helps.

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2022, 04:04:21 PM »
Simon,  as mentioned, providing that you do some trial/error work before hand, you should be able to satisfy yourself as to what crimp tool/terminals work best for you. Cable sizes would also be a factor, Clive mentioned that doubling over 1.00mm wire within the terminals helps to provide a satisfactory crimped connection, of which I agree. I mainly use 2.00mm thin-wall insulated cable on most of my looms, it helps to minimise volt-drop and the overall thickness of the harness is no different to the OE harness.  Recently replaced the OE loom on my XL500s (6 volt system) due to poor indicator & brake lighting to one of my replica looms with 2.00mm thin-wall...it made a big difference to the lighting brightness,
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2022, 10:16:12 PM »
Thanks Al, Clive - I guess that’s the answer, ie choosing a thin wall diameter to suit the terminals rather than the (low required) current rating.

I noticed a bootlace crimped in your kit Al (I have one too), have you experimented with crimping a small ferrule onto the thin wall, and then crimping this ferrule into the spade / bullet / etc connector with the quality ratchet crimper? Or is this all too ‘clunky’?

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2022, 10:21:06 AM »
Is old fashioned solder not a good idea?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2022, 11:27:45 AM »
Simon, The bootlace crimp tool (black Handles) are normally used for stator work (as image, Kawasaki S2 new sub-loom) Handy to keep the wires in place, then apply solder to complete the connection, glass fibre sleeve fitted thereafter.
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2022, 03:09:42 PM »
I will ask for all those who are too embarrassed.

Bootlace?

Can it crimp a bootlace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2022, 03:34:50 PM »

Bootlace?

Can it crimp a bootlace?

My bootlace ferrule crimper looks identical
Matt
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2022, 04:51:51 PM »

Bootlace?

Can it crimp a bootlace?

I think it's that little metal tag you see on some wires, looks like the hard bit on the end of a bootlace.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2022, 10:11:31 AM »
Otherwise known as an aglet
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal