Author Topic: Rear brake stay arm fitting  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Rolfbulmer

• View Profile
Rear brake stay arm fitting
« on: June 06, 2022, 08:25:19 PM »
I am in the process of fitting the rear brake stay arm and have a few questions please;
1. Where the stay arm is connected to the brake end should it be free to move? I inserted the T-shape shoulder bolt, then the rubber washer, then the stay arm, then a washer that slides over the bolt threads but not onto the shoulder, then the nut. When all in place there is approximately 5mm of lateral movement of the stay arm. Is this OK? Seems excessive to me in my ignorance.
2. Where the stay arm attaches under the swing arm, should this be tight and no free play?
Thanks in anticipation.
1977 Honda CB550F - Cafe racer project bike
2001 Honda Hornet 600  - All weather bike
2019 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 - Dry and sunny weather bike

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Rear brake stay arm fitting
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 08:52:50 PM »
The stay arm is correctly called the torque arm but that's just terminology. As I understand it your wondering if there should be any play on the brake plate bolt, I'd say a little but not a lot. It would depend a lot on how good the rubber washer is, they do tend to deteriorate over time and become misshaped etc.

As for the front bolt, again, a little but not a lot, the torque arm should be able to move freely but not excessively so.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Rolfbulmer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 09:41:28 PM »
Thanks Oddjob,
The rubber washer is brand new from David Silver.
Its not play on the brake plate bolt, but play in the torque arm. See photo attached....
I wonder if the T-bolt is too long? Do you have any idea how long they should be please.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 11:33:28 PM »
Ah, the washer should go over the shoulder of the bolt as well if my aged memory is correct

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 11:54:42 PM »
Ah, the washer should go over the shoulder of the bolt as well if my aged memory is correct

That is correct Bryan or is it the spring washer that goes over the shoulder or plain, can not recall at the moment but think there is a flat washer and a spring washer  ::)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 12:36:43 AM »
Now you nudged me i think it is plain, spring, nut and split pin(or R clip)

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 07:59:54 AM »
Mmmm. I think it’s rubber, stay, plain washer (slides over shoulder of bolt), nut and pin. I don’t think the manual features a washer,, but I didn’t like the distance from the pin to the nut. So maybe it was a plain washer and spring washer, but I doubt it.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 08:16:13 AM »
FYI

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 08:31:48 AM »
I think that the objective is to have the brake stay nicely sandwiched between the nut and the rubber washer, with the nut shouldered against the unthreaded part of the plate bolt. In other words the rubber, if of the correct width should sit just slightly higher than the unthreaded part of the bolt so it’s compressed slightly by the stay arm when shouldered a giant the bolt. But that could be complete bo##”s.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2022, 08:37:26 AM »
Oh dear. CMNSL picture which differs. Washer and spring washer. The rubber bush isn’t shown as it appears elsewhere in the fiche. ::)

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2022, 08:41:22 AM »
Jesus……and then again it appears as I originally described. Rubber, arm, washer, nut split pin.

Take your choice.

Offline Rolfbulmer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2022, 09:10:21 AM »
Thanks for all your comments.
I think the T-bolt fitted is not original as it had a yoke fitted to it and no torque arm when I got the bike. I suspect the previous owner was going to make his own torque arm using the yoke to provide the slight movement required. I am going to buy a T-bolt and fit this, I think this will then be the right size.
I believe the correct installation method is: rubber washer, torque arm, plain washer up to shoulder of bolt, nut, r-pin.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2022, 11:19:44 AM »
You may read this http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,139941.msg1584732.html#msg1584732 and previous posts in that thread.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2022, 11:30:19 AM »
Ahhh, non standard bolt. That might change things. My bike is bog standard and the original assembly was bush, stay, washer and nut. That’s not to say it wasn’t assembled incorrectly in the past of course…..

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2022, 12:16:15 PM »
I am sure that the minual is wrong with this. I put the rubber on, then stay bar, 10mm plain washer and a 8mm spring washer, nut and split pin  ;) ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal