Author Topic: Helicoils pulled out, replace or go size up?  (Read 1126 times)

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
Helicoils pulled out, replace or go size up?
« on: June 06, 2022, 10:24:48 PM »
So cam shaft in, see earlier post. While torquing up the 4 bolts on cam cover, 3 wouldn't tighten. So undid them and out come 3 helicoils installed by previous owner I presume.  The 4 bolts  are 6mm x 60mm and are the ones that fit around the cam chain sprocket in the cam cover.
Just one thing after another! 😤
So question is , can they just be replaced by putting in same size or do I need to go up a size, although not a lot of room for that ?
Fear I know the answer 🙄

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Helicoils pulled out, replace or go size up?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 11:09:02 PM »
It depends on what the threads are like Bill. I take it you have all the tappets backed off fully and the rocker arms held up out of the way with rubber bands and if possible, someone pushing the cover down flat when you're trying to do the bolts up to reduce the pressure?. It's very rare to pull helicoils out unless there is an awful lot of pressure being exerted on them. If the helicoils had have been loose, why didn't they come out when you stripped the top end down 🤔🤔🤔
It's very, very easy to bend valves and crack the valve guides without taking the pressure off by doing the above.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 11:12:40 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 11:31:03 PM »
If they have unscrewed you can replace them, if they have pulled out its a problem.
Are they short coils in deep holes? If so an answer is possible but complicated, i dont think there is metal for timeserts(they need a 10mm outer thread)

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 08:27:11 AM »
It depends on what the threads are like Bill. I take it you have all the tappets backed off fully and the rocker arms held up out of the way with rubber bands and if possible, someone pushing the cover down flat when you're trying to do the bolts up to reduce the pressure?. It's very rare to pull helicoils out unless there is an awful lot of pressure being exerted on them. If the helicoils had have been loose, why didn't they come out when you stripped the top end down 🤔🤔🤔
It's very, very easy to bend valves and crack the valve guides without taking the pressure off by doing the above.

Thanks Julie, all tappets fully backed off before assembly.  To be honest hardly exerted any pressure because I'd noticed they looked like helicoils when stripping down. I took them back out because just didn't feel right, you know that feeling of dread !

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 08:32:29 AM »
If they have unscrewed you can replace them, if they have pulled out its a problem.
Are they short coils in deep holes? If so an answer is possible but complicated, i dont think there is metal for timeserts(they need a 10mm outer thread)

Cheers Bryan,
I would have said they've unscrewed rather than pulled out as not at full tension imo.
Although bolt is 60mm the threaded part is 15-20mm  in 25-30mm hole. Estimated measurements. 
Best guess is try and reinstall and see what happens , if that won't go in original helicoil thread then obviously they pulled out rather than come undone.

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 09:50:07 AM »
Maybe some new inserts with a little loctite 2620? It is certainly worth trying before anything more remedial.
Matt
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 11:46:27 AM »
I wouls advise buying a helicoil kit and carefully retaping with the special tap then measuring carefully the depth of helicoil thread in the head and buying correct length coils, they come in 1d, 2d, 3d, etc where d is the diameter of the bolt. If necessary get a longer one than hole is deen and after fitting coil use a square or triangular needle file to cut the coil just below head surface

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 12:12:21 PM »
Get yourself a V-coil kit and re-tap and put a new coil in >>> Link >> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354074603431?hash=item52707dafa7:g:jqIAAOSw3qpimPFJ

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 06:49:54 PM »
While torquing up the 4 bolts on cam cover, 3 wouldn't tighten.
That sounds ominously like the screw is slipping in the coil insert or the coil is slipping in the hole. So get the longest insert you can, they come in 1/2 d lengths as well. Difficult to judge as the insert comes tightly coiled (wind it on a screw, it should be the 6mm/9mm etc).  Also see if a fractionally longer screw can be fitted, but be careful.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 10:58:36 PM by Seabeowner »
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2022, 09:39:37 AM »
Get yourself a V-coil kit and re-tap and put a new coil in >>> Link >> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354074603431?hash=item52707dafa7:g:jqIAAOSw3qpimPFJ
Thanks Trigger!
I have a helicoil kit but not the one you mention. I'm  guessing over the years experience has shown that this to be the better , more durable and precise tool ?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal