Author Topic: USA scrap yards  (Read 5928 times)

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: USA scrap yards
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2022, 07:00:48 PM »
Ken, its a hundred and twenty miles away from me and I took a day off to go as I have no cover out here due to the local staff being useless.................and now unemployed! I'm shipping two lads out here from the UK for three months so I can come home.

Email the guy there Jay, he's a top fella and he can ship to me and Ill bring em back for you. you can get to his desk on SALES@MIDSCYCLESALVAGE.COM     Jay Parnell is his full name or google M.I.D.S salvage in Sumpter SC 29153.

I said that I would chuck his name in the hat on the forum, he said the more the merrier so give him a shout. Theres 5 hours difference here to you so bear that in mind mate.

My address here is Fish Networks Inc, 387 Lena Expressway, Estill, South Carolina, SC 29918 if he wantsa number to put on it I can give you the farm number but its crap to get hold of me on as Im always out in the ponds or barns; 803-625-4210

Let me know how you get on and I'll keep an eye out.
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2022, 07:04:31 PM »
Slightly off topic Roo but did he have any Laverda parts at all?
I'm looking for a left hand 120 Jota primary drive cover.

Hi Dave, sadly not. I had a Monduic and a Formula 500 but they went years ago and I've just kept the handle. Sorry I couldnt help buddy, if you look in last months Practical Sportsbike magazine they're building an old SFC I think and had a huge list of suppliers and the forum details for sources of bits. It would be well worth having a look. If you cant find it let me know and I'll get the Long Haired General to photo the pages and send them to me and I can bob them up on here. Shes working at the min but as soon as shes free Ill ask her for you.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2022, 07:14:11 PM »
Thanks Roo. Yep got that mag. I think it's an old Jarma (the 'Jota' built for the US but failed to sell so Slaters bought them cheap from Laverda, hotted them up a bit and sold them here!
I know Keith Nairn very well and my 120 is up with him in Scotland (Laverda Scozia) having a rebore with special pistons and rods.
The primary cover on the 120 is very rare and I'd like to find a spare as they are normally toast if the bike gets dropped!
Bet you wish you kept that Monty and the Formula 500, rare beasts indeed!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2022, 07:53:10 PM »
Ah, cool, well you'll know all about it then? ;D

Selling those as part of a separation deal with an ex was probably the WORST thing I've ever done! Ive not ridden another laverda except my 500's but still croon over the ones I see bobbing about. Id love another of any description but I think that might be a pipe dream.

Sorry I couldnt helpmate, have you had a look on the italian forums to see whats about? I'm sure there must be some about. Give Jay a call  at MIDS above he may have what you want he had alsorts of rare gubbins floating about and the bikes over here are pretty much disposable so there must be a stash somewhere, Jay is linked to anotjher 300 breakers and been at it for 30 years, Im sure he'll know of someone that might help you out Dave. if you need it shipping to me I can bring it back for you if that helps.

think I'm gonna need a bigger bag! ;D

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2022, 12:02:42 AM »
Regarding Laverdas, an old friend once bought an ex George Fogarty (Carl’s dad) 500cc F2 TT bike, in Castrol colours, from Sports Motorcycles. I went with him in a van to get it, and helped him bump start in his works yard. It had chipped cams ,we didn’t have a clue how to get new ones, and he sold it on. He now has an ex Mert Lawill Harley XR750 flat tracker which I’ve also helped start and also covet, so some things never change.

1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2022, 01:53:15 PM »
Just sent him an email with some part numbers Roo, let's see what happens now.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2022, 02:11:52 PM »
Fantastic Ken, keep me in the loop and fingers crossed Ken. I got that rear hub apart last night and it looks like I lucked out as the inside is a bit rusty from the shoes being a bit manky but apart from that everything checks out so $20 well spent :) 8)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2022, 03:50:21 PM »
Got a reply from Jay, says he'll let me know when he goes to the restoration shop. He reckons he has some of my list which was a few of the rare items for a 500-4. Depends on what he wants for them as well I suppose.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2022, 06:02:07 PM »
He's super nice so Im sure he wont fleece you Ken, is it worth putting an APB out for other bits folk want and then combine the postage to make it a bit cheaper mate?

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2022, 12:54:17 AM »
No I don't think I want to get involved in that Roo. Done it before and it just ends with me chasing people over stuff.

Plus, the parts I've asked for are kinda rare so it's unlikely he'll have any of them but who knows maybe he will. We'll see, I've added some 550 parts as well, indicator stems although as the UK are different I don't expect he'll have any but when I mentioned that he said he'd found a spoke set off a S110 which never went to the USA so maybe there's a slim chance, worth asking anyhow.

Did you see any of the NOS bits, I'm wondering if there were any large bits, like seat, tanks, exhausts.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2022, 04:15:01 AM »
Fair enough mate, I know exactly what you mean.
His whole collection of NOS bits was collected by his dad who was the seriel restorer, It wouldnt be a shock to find he has quite a few of the bits yer after Ken. Fingers crossed like!
 The level of detail was superb on everything I saw it was by no means a hoarders warehouse, it was laid out to function. It was mainly boxes with bags in but there were some large boxes tucked up high, it wouldnt surprise me if he has that sort of thing. The warehouse was immense just full of orderly laid out stuff.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2022, 12:15:27 PM »
Well that was kind of weird,

I returned back from the States on the 11th of July where upon landing I was told that my lugage would follow in the next 48hrs. Inconvenient but so be it.
The next day one bag was dropped off but the other was due to be forwarded to me so I hung on, a bit anxious but never the less, waiting patiently for it to turn up.

Over the course of the last 8 weeks nearly, I have rung them emailed and eventually wrote a scathing email or epic proportions opening several cans of Northerner to the CEO of DELTA Airlines expressing what a 'shower of sh%t' his organisation was and that due to piss poor organisation on their part, my bag was still in a mountain of bags sitting at heathrow as there was nowhere else for it to be! I'm sure if I was a first class customer, I reckon they would have looked faster tbh!

Over the entire 8 weeks, I have recieved one phone call at 3am from Atanta asking what they could do to help.   Thats it!

Last night, I had just come in from the shed at about 2am after faffing about with bits and bobs and generally getting up to no good etc, just sat down with a brew and there's a knock at the door????

Ther standing in front of me was a knackered lookibg chap clasping my suitcase!   (Repeat on a loop inserted anglo saxon expletives
loudly)!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o

This was the suitcase with all my diabetic delivery devices in it and all my spare meds, clothes, my favourite jeans, my dianese jacket and  all my scrap yard treasure I had spent foraging for when I was over there...................Result! :D

The only pocket that was opened was the top one on my bag and although I cable tie all my padlocks and zips it had been snapped open, all they took was two 500g bags of peanut butter filled M&M's the miserable gits which is OK I guess but do they know you cant buy them over here and that was a mean trick............I'm a diabetic you know! ;D

In total, if I had to replace everything on that bag that was just for diabetes stuff, it would be well over £14k!! you can see why I was a little chuffed. I had a set of clutch plates in ther efor my pals top fuel drag bike, theyre worth £700 on their own. I think with those and a plug spanner I got them the bill was over $900 :o Glad I'm not having to fork out for those now!!

Anyway, the upshot is that I have all my kit back that I thought was lost, all my treasure, I dont have to put a claim in for £14k+ and TODAY everyone, I am one happy chap!

As a consequence, I have several points covers and 4 x CB500/550 (I think) air box lids, two of which with the mesh still in them for  sale.. I'll bob up some piccies on the for sale bit if anybody's after one, let me know, theyll be cheap for you folk. Anything that doesnt go will get put on the bay of fleas but let  me know if you're after one.

After I've sent Sesman his indicators, everybody that asked for stuff should have it but if you're looking for anything let me know as I'm going back on the 15th for a further 6 weeks so planning on going for another rummage 8)

Top result and a massive weight off my mind,

Still in shock TBH................Today is going to be a good day! ;) :) 8)

I'm off for a ride on the bike to be smug and not get on anyones 'twig' by being insesantly chirpy ;D

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2022, 02:10:50 PM »
Did you kiss him Roo🥰

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2022, 02:34:50 PM »
No, but I did send him away with a fresh brew and a visit of the facilities ;) :)

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2022, 02:58:35 PM »
Good result. Everything is in such a mess at the moment.  Thankyou Boris and goodnight! 😡
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal