SOHC.co.uk Forums > Other Bikes

Porous wheels

<< < (2/2)

Laverda Dave:
From what you have all said it sounds like potential rim leakage. This is strange though as I have checked the rim and all appears to be fine, no dings or cracks either. The tire fitter (he's actually an ace mechanic, used him for 25+ years) also checked the rim inside and out and he could find nothing wrong BUT he did say only slight damage would cause a leak at the pressure involved. The green gloop did slow it down but did not eliminate it so maybe it is the critical area between the rim and the tire that is slightly damaged.

Nigel & Ted, yep, I did the soapy water test a couple of times and could find nothing on the rim but there was a very, very slight weep on the valve head, bubbles took over 30 minutes to show but they were tiny. Anyway I replaced the valve (twice) and the problem is still there.

I will install the new rim with my new tire and see how it goes. I won't use the paint, Honda never did so if all is fine it will point to the old wheel being damaged and fit for the bin.

Thanks for all the replies.

robvangulik:
Like Ted said, hold the complete wheel under water and it WILL show where it leaks!
Even a very small inflatable childs swimming pool works, and doesn't cost you any real money.

Trigger:
Have had to have lots of alloy wheels powder coated due to rim leaks over the years.
If you put a innertube in and it doesn't go down, you know it is the wheel  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version