Author Topic: Left switch gear  (Read 901 times)

Offline Davelu88

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Left switch gear
« on: June 20, 2022, 10:08:12 PM »
Hi Hi All, DS sells the left side switchgear for a 550 K1 , does anyone know if it is the same as my 1975 550 F . It looks the same but was just wondering about the wires . Many Thanks Dave

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Left switch gear
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 10:17:45 PM »
It depends on where the bike comes from originally.

The 550K1 wasn't imported into the UK so it would depend on what type was fitted to it. If it was a US model they didn't get the headlight flasher that the UK 550F did for instance, just a horn button.

I'm also not 100% sure if the 550K1 used the same switchgear as the 500 it was based on, does the left hand switchgear on yours have Hi/low on it?
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Davelu88

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 10:47:07 PM »
Hi yes mine is US import so it has indicators,  horn & Hi/ low beam ,. Regards

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 10:58:34 PM »
Dave , the K1 wires go to the headlight and F1/F2 go to a junction box under the tank so, the wires will not be long enough to reach the junction box on a F  ;)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 11:59:37 PM »
Good point. What’s wrong with your switch at present?

Offline Davelu88

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 12:15:29 AM »
Thx for replies , nothing is wrong it works fine but has no paint on it & I am not sure I could do it .

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 01:52:48 AM »
The left hand switch is pretty easy to take part, the right hand one is trickier as you need to unsolder the kill switch.

You just need a set of JIS screwdrivers or you risk rounding the screws as a Phillips screwdriver isn't always good enough.

I'm having a set of switch gear casings powder coated in satin black to see how they come out but you can easily spray them yourself and fill in the symbols with some model paint afterwards.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 06:47:58 AM »
The left hand switch is pretty easy to take part, the right hand one is trickier as you need to unsolder the kill switch.

You just need a set of JIS screwdrivers or you risk rounding the screws as a Phillips screwdriver isn't always good enough.

I'm having a set of switch gear casings powder coated in satin black to see how they come out but you can easily spray them yourself and fill in the symbols with some model paint afterwards.

The switch gear you are looking for was also used on the USA 400/4 but, has been unavailable for years and no replica units have been made. 
No good powder coated as, you loss the detail of the markings  :o
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 06:53:57 AM by Trigger »

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 08:18:46 AM »
There's a lot of bulls♡♡t about it floating around, but the Cerakote finish offered by some makes a really good finish for things like this from the items I've seen coated.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

It does show any imperfections though as it's very thin and so would preserve original switch casting shapes.  Someone like this may be suitable as doing small items/batches for anyone interested https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383821877133 with cost more reasonable if they are doing other parts same colour etc as yours.

Local powder coater also showed me a very finely finished bicycle frame, in steel with detailed lug joints that the owner wished to ensure remains clearly defined. Must admit I'd not seen before powder coating of that fine a finish as he had done a very very good application on it.

Offline Davelu88

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 09:13:45 AM »
Cerakote is a nice finish , I have been searching old threads and another member said they used Simonez tough satin so I will give it a go :) I did consider powder coating but like Trig said I thought it would be too thick . Let's us know how it turns out :)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 04:17:34 PM »
Didn't consider Cerakote, I'm going to the local Ceramic coater soon so may try a set of switch gear as a test.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal