Author Topic: Where to fit a small analogue voltmeter ?  (Read 329 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Where to fit a small analogue voltmeter ?
« on: June 23, 2022, 06:21:23 PM »
I presently have a small digital voltmeter mounted on the handlebars between the mounting brackets.
It works just fine but in bright daylight you can't read the display.

Has anyone here fitted a small diameter Analogue guage -the old headlamp mounted units would be ideal you could fit a raised type unit in a suitable housing?
Honda CB400 four super sport

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Where to fit a small analogue voltmeter ?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 11:51:36 PM »
Not fitted one to a honda but be careful of type and wiring, there are two types
1 moving iron==cheap
2 moving coil ==dearer
The no1 uses more current to give a reading and if connected directly accross the battery to read all the time would totaly flatten the battery fairly quickly, on a neighbours spridget several years ago about 3 days

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 08:23:50 AM »
My present digital unit is wired via a relay that is activated when sidelight/dtrls are on.

Offline K2-K6

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 10:48:18 AM »
When the 750 was contemporary a friend made a small pod (engineering apprentice) that fitted between the two dial, also a rear cap in aluminium to match the Honda chrome disc on existing clocks. That did look good but you'd need a decent turner to make it up for you.

The inspiration was this

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

and just seen at top of picture, it made the addition look like a factory fitment and very neat with a analogue clock he wanted to include. 

Perhaps some inspiration for you.

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 03:00:08 PM »
Neat looking fitting Nigel.

Offline 400 Cafe Racer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 05:13:28 PM »
I presently have a small digital voltmeter mounted on the handlebars between the mounting brackets.

Has anyone here fitted a small diameter Analogue guage -the old headlamp mounted units would be ideal you could fit a raised type unit in a suitable housing?

Hi Ted,

In terms of positioning I think it’s down to personal choice. If you look at my “Cockpit Upgrade” post you will see I accommodated 6 gauges. The AFR gauge was a little lager in diameter so would not sit as low as the others.

In terms of housings it depends what you can create with the garage resources you have available.

I am pleased with the good info that mine provide, and the wiring you have should work fine, but I would go for a gauge that has a damped movement, to avoid needle vibration.

Hope this helps.

Great that you are now on the road.

All the best

Dennis
Retired Automotive Engineer   MIMI, MITRE, DMS, MCMI.

Latest    - 1979 CB400/4  Cafe Racer - Parakeet Yellow
              - 1939 Velocette GTP 250 twin port Two stroke

1988-91 - Lamborghini Countach QV replica design and
                 build - 3000hr spare time project

In 1956 at 12yrs old and dirt tracking
              - 1937 Rudge 500 4 valve
              - 1940s Royal Enfield 225sv
              -  Ex WD Norton 500sv

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 06:39:34 PM »

Hi Ted,

In terms of positioning I think it’s down to personal choice. If you look at my “Cockpit Upgrade” post you will see I accommodated 6 gauges. The AFR gauge was a little lager in diameter so would not sit as low as the others.

In terms of housings it depends what you can create with the garage resources you have available.

I am pleased with the good info that mine provide, and the wiring you have should work fine, but I would go for a gauge that has a damped movement, to avoid needle vibration.

Hope this helps.

Great that you are now on the road.

All the best

Dennis

Hi Dennis - I had forgotten that post - I was hoping I could find a handlebar mounted analogue gauge as I've seen on the net but can't find anyone who sells the. Thanks Ted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal