SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

What is broken in my charging system?

<< < (2/2)

Bryanj:
I would add to that that whilst the rectifier MAY survive a short time of reverse polarity the electronic regulator definately wont.
The black wire at the regulator should be at the same positive volts as the positive of the battery, any less will give wrong charging

RBoss:
@Delta, thanks for your thoughts! I'm indeed very happy it was not a seized engine after all... I had to process the mistake of thinking it being a seized engine a bit though. Although the combination of no gas and a dead battery was quite a coincidence.  ::) Anyway it (almost) works again!

Happy to read that the alternator is probably in good shape. I think I might perform the driving test you describe. Also I am thinking of replacing the sub-wiring harness and the starter solenoid as they do have some corroded contacts. My OEM rectifier unfortunately lost a contact due to corrosion so that one had to go, and the replacement unit is a combination so I thought I might as well replace the regulator.

Next step I think is to replace some wiring and the starter solenoid to rule out more bad wiring and contacts...

Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version