Author Topic: Top / bottom yoke race advice  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Davelu88

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Top / bottom yoke race advice
« on: June 27, 2022, 07:25:12 PM »
Hi all , the powder coaters removed  my races when he did my frame , I have got them back in but do they sit flush or are they recessed . Thanks Dave

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Top / bottom yoke race advice
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 08:16:37 PM »
All the way down to the shoulder

Offline Davelu88

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 09:20:55 PM »
Thanks Bryanj but disaster has happened,  I have been too heavy handed and whilst trying to hit them in with a socket I have broken the top one & damaged the bottom  one. I have them out now , are tapered ones easier to fit . Thx

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 12:01:13 AM »
Sort of but you can get ball race kits with captive balls, i will try and find a link for you when i finish wrk early am

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 12:56:17 AM »
Get tapers, they are better than ball bearings for load purposes. I find them a little harder to fit due to how thin the races are in comparison but I use Honda special tools so it's pretty easy to fit them for me but without special tools I'd say they'd be harder. So long as you buy the correct tapers they fit just fine and last longer as well.

If your attempting to fit the bottom race onto the steering stem try buying a piece of steel tubing, make sure it's 30mm internal diameter though and longer than the steering stem. You can then just slide the race onto the stem and use the tube to hammer it down without risking damage. 30mm ID x 34mm OD by 300mm length. Something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391883163453?var=660864052444&hash=item5b3e0e873d:g:zOMAAOSwsupb5841
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 12:58:28 AM by Oddjob »
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 05:54:54 AM »
Oh, tapers. Now there’s a topic for conversation. Despite shimming the bottom race I couldn’t achieve a good compromise between the original headlamp ear fitting and bottom yoke lock stop clearance. I went back to ball races in the end.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 08:43:43 AM »
Look at ebay item 284859242264 (sory cant do links!) The balls are held in a captive cage so easier to assemble, says F1, 2, 3 but i think all the fours are the same.
Tapers can be good BUT take a lot of getting spacers right and some sets dont leave a lot of thread at the top, i find they dont last any longer than balls as they dont fully rotate which is what they are designed for so still get notchy but are easier to adjust.
You pays your money and takes your choice

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 02:28:06 PM »
Don't buy crap makes like All Balls and I find them far superior. I tend to fit NTN or Koyo Tapers.

There was a good thread on the USA forum about them, someone measured the OE bearings and then Tapers and IIRC the tapers need a 3mm spacer underneath the bottom race to get them correct. I've never had a ounce of problem with mine.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 04:50:21 PM »
Hi, odd-job.

Do,you have a source for those bearings. I presume you used a 3mm spacer for success? The item I purchased from DS was a waste of time with multiple spacer depths.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 04:52:52 PM »
This thread was my experience….a frigging nightmare.

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,24991.msg229217.html#msg229217

Offline Davelu88

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 08:26:41 PM »
Thx for all the advice , I do like the sound of the captive ball ones on ebay .
Bryan do these ones come complete with the races etc .
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 08:47:43 PM by Davelu88 »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2022, 10:04:58 PM »
I seem to recall I measured the spacer I had fitted and it was indeed 3mm thick.

I'll see if I can find my old tapers and check the markings on them, I fitted them in the late 70s or early 80s when they knew what they were doing. They fitted perfectly and I was thinking of refitting them again as they are still in perfect nick.

My experience of captive ball races hasn't been good, my CB1300 has them fitted as standard and last weekend I removed them and fitted tapers in their place. One side of all the bearings was worn and the other side has surface rust, I think they don't rotate the same as normal loose bearings. All the races had pits where the bearings sat.

Offline Davelu88

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2022, 05:40:42 PM »
What am I doing wrong , I have fitted top and bottom races and I'm sure they are seated all the way in , but when I screw down the top dust cover I cannot get it tight enough to stop the yoke from moving up and down . Help please it's driving  me nuts

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2022, 08:59:33 PM »
Are they taper rollers?

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2022, 09:31:00 PM »
Remove the yokes, take some pics and post them on here so we can see if we can spot something wrong.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal