Author Topic: Detecting clutch slip via kickstart  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Oggers

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Detecting clutch slip via kickstart
« on: May 19, 2022, 04:31:57 PM »
Gents

I neeed to know when the clutch is just slipping. You can do this with the kickstart, and clearly if the clutch is slipping badly then on kickstart there will be no turning of the engine! However, I want to discern when it is just starting to slip using the kickstart - what are the symptoms please?

Cheers

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Detecting clutch slip via kickstart
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 08:11:19 AM »
Unsure if you can check this way.

Hazy memory, but thought the kickstart drives direct to the primary shaft input to the clutch (effectively bypassing the plates) so that the engine can be started with kickstart even when in gear.

Perhaps someone can verify by pulling clutch and trying the kickstart for you.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 09:48:53 AM »
Surely it depends on what bike?

Checks forum section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Oggers

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 09:50:57 AM »
I should have mentioned this is not a Honda- rather a 58 Velocette Viper where drive from the kickstart to the box then via the clutch to the primary drive. I need to be able to tell when I just have clutch slip in order to adjust the clutch. Velos have a unique adjustment technique.

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 10:25:51 AM »
I would have thought if you put the bike in gear with the rear brake on - then whilst depressing the kick start start pulling in the clutch at the point of slipping the starter pedal will go down. Might be a 2 person task. Then adjusting the clutch mechanism will move the bite point to your chosen position.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 10:52:05 AM »
Agree its slightly difficult to discern against engine compression as cylinder pressure bleed off feels a little like clutch slip if you're trying to resist movement with that method.

Perhaps a zip tie round clutch lever and click it in one at a time while trying to push it along in gear may give you an accumalative/incremental feeling to detect the onset of slip.

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 11:10:23 AM »
I should have mentioned this is not a Honda- rather a 58 Velocette Viper where drive from the kickstart to the box then via the clutch to the primary drive. I need to be able to tell when I just have clutch slip in order to adjust the clutch. Velos have a unique adjustment technique.

Not being negative,  but why don't you ask on a Velo forum or VMCC. You can't beat the knowledge of people who know the marque and have done that adjustment hundreds of times?
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 11:27:26 AM »
Not sure I understand the issue… but take a ‘plug out, put a lolly stick down the ‘hole and notice when it ceases to move versus kickstart action?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 05:52:08 PM »
I have done a velo and it should be easy to feel clutch slip as its a big single and on compression you feel the kickstart move with no effect

Offline Oggers

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2022, 08:04:48 PM »
Bryan

Thanks for that. At present, when compression is found, the kickstart is very stiff - as it ought to be I guess, so I assume no clutch slip. Clutch adjustment on Velos is pretty unique, and I need to adjust it to when it just slips before making the final adjustment.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal