Author Topic: Minimal wiring to start up engine?  (Read 643 times)

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Minimal wiring to start up engine?
« on: July 05, 2022, 06:04:11 PM »
Hey all

Almost done with engine rebuild. I am impatient. What is the absolute minimal wiring I can get away with to get the engine to (hopefully) fire? Using the factory harness and all of course!

- Alex

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re: Minimal wiring to start up engine?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 10:40:35 PM »
I’d be using old spare wires rather than having a complete loom flopping about, and giving you headaches if gremlins appear. Furthermore, you’re less likely to damage your loom through shorts etc with open connectors touching the frame.. whatever.

Battery negative to the engine block, using a heavy earthing wire…. eg the OEM one.

Battery positive to the 2 black coils wires. (can be typical loom size wire). Don’t need a switch, eg twisting wires together will do. IMPORTANT….. if not using a switch here DO NOT leave the coils perm connected for any significant time as a coil might burn out.

Coils wires Yell / Blue (as normal) to their respective points plate, which must be fully assembled & set. (again, can use typical loom sized wires)

Coil secondary windings (ie plug leads) to the correct spark plugs (as normal)

Starter motor lead (ie the +ve) can be loose and firmly pushed onto the batt +ve to crank… but expect heavy sparks if doing so. DON’T have neat petrol about. A better way could be to include the starter solenoid, ie connect the big battery +ve to one post (Heavy cable), the starter motor lead (+ve) to the other post (heavy cable), one small wire to the battery -ve, and leave the other small wire loose (loom sized cables will do). To crank, just touch this last small wire to the battery +ve.

Think that’s about it… again, there may be the odd spark… don’t have anything volatile  / neat fuel around.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 02:09:48 AM by Lobo »

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 08:03:06 AM »
I second the point about 'if not using a switch  don't leave could permanently connected' ..it may be easier to have an on off switch, or I've used a blade fuse between battery positive and coils.

For really miminal set up, you can avoid the starter motor and just use the kick start. It might be a bit more effort to get started though.
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 12:06:00 PM »
Great idea no starter motor Andy - simply didn’t cross my mind 😂. Has the added benefit of no sparks & free cardio workout….

Alex, if ya go this route you don’t need the heavy cable battery -ve to engine block; a small loom sized wire will be fine.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 01:02:31 PM by Lobo »

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 01:10:40 PM »
That's how my bike is wired. Initially it wouldn't start despite lots of kicking (in all senses!), although it was running on a quick-start spray so I was happy with my wiring. I whipped off the carbs to check they were clear and then another few minutes on the kick start and off it went. Clearly it's a lot easier letting the electric start do the work!
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 04:56:55 PM »
This is great, thanks guys!