Author Topic: Exhaust preservation  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust preservation
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2022, 07:51:44 AM »
Interesting thoughts on additives and off course different reasons to add oil to fuel in these old bikes for preservation purposes.

Ian - I think you would see the smoke from Birsay. 🤣
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2022, 06:08:11 PM »
K2-K6, many thanks for the detailed info, I think this might be the way forward for me and hopefully many others.  I'm about to put the 400/4 on the road and that too has genuine Honda chimneys, so they need to be preserved.  The greenies have really buggered up my last few years of my enjoyment of classic bikes and cars - don't get me wrong, we should be looking after our finite resources but surely there were better ways to be explored instead of consigning already manufactured vehicles to the scrap-heap. Can't the scientists find a way of combining the reported excess of carbon with some abundant hydrogen to power our existing vehicles?
That's it, all three rants used up today, soap box back in the cupboard!

Ian

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2022, 07:13:29 PM »
I'll have a rant as well....seeing as it's Friday.

Young Greta Thunberg and her dopey Pals are the main reason why Fuel/ Gas prices are so expensive.

When you openly....and gleefully tell your Suppliers/ Producers that you will be doing all that you can to stop buying their Products ASAP and that they are the 'Devil incarnate', don't be surprised when they all gang up and get their own back by ramping up the prices they demand for their products.........especially when there are plenty of other 'Customers' queuing up to buy them !

Of course Climate Change is a real threat to us all, but jumping in feet first like Greta has, has only made the problem more acute........I bet she wouldn't be welcome in Sri Lanka just now !
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2022, 11:46:07 PM »
I personally think we have it the wrong way round, instead of strangling economies and making people poorer and face greater hardship which inevitably means they will be become more desperate and make the problem worse we should be using our greatest asset science to fix the problem.

Find a way of neutralising greenhouse gasses, scrub the atmosphere of C02 and other nasties, work together to cool the earth down using the knowledge we have accrued rather than the taboos some of us like to preach to. The current approach, wind and solar energy, electric cars etc just are not going to work so stop the loony brigade taking us down the path to economic and social destruction in the name of salvation.

Jeez now that was a rant wasnt it!

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2022, 07:16:45 PM »
Just remember that ONE short journey can do the damage. I ruined a perfectly good set of pipes on my 500 years ago. It was SORNED and we moved house, so I illegally rode it the seven miles one cold winter day and left it.

Find a way of neutralising greenhouse gasses, scrub the atmosphere of C02 and other nasties, work together to cool the earth
Unfortunately we are nowhere near this and very unlikely ever to achieve that. Russia loves the heat.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2022, 09:06:56 PM »
As mentioned by John in previous post, only running when you know that the pipes can get fully hot to expel condensate helps significantly to avoid corrosion internally. 

I believe that sulphur in fuel has an impact on the life potential of exhaust system as it creates mild sulphuric acid in the vapour when burnt during combustion. This risk has been reduced for some time with low sulphur fuel supply, but not entirely removed. Getting started and off choke/rich running is vital to bring combustion temps up and less unburnt fuel passing into exhaust and oil too.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2022, 09:20:53 PM »
On the things that give us cause to rant, notice how we are effectively hosed down with constant "news" of all the minutiae of events that  really have no impact upon us ? Certainly there's things that are important to us, but seeing clear view of hierarchy when standing in a car wash atmosphere while being completely soaked it's no wonder so many people feel a little despondent about any current situation.

Just the sheer quantity/mass of news gathering and delivery via so many channels is truly astonishing I feel. Many are not physiologically able to, or wish to participate, but persistent delivery whether we want it or not is heading toward the parasitic within society. 

It's a truism that all "news" is bad news. The positive is just advertising of one kind or another. Trying to head towards the positive that motivates us is certainly important, a fundamental part of this site and others like it with positive common interests of such value to individuals.

There you go, a rant about rants  ;D

Offline 350Simon

• 1974 Honda 350 Four, 1974 Honda PC50
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2022, 06:11:56 AM »
Yes k2 you're right about the sheer volume of 'news' nowadays, it's also too accessible and because of this we end up in a situation where we can read news about news, the journalists have to write about something all the time, simply to justify their existence.

It's part of the reason I removed myself from social media, cut it all out. I don't watch TV, or read the news. The only indulgence for me now is the odd motoring forum such as this. Its a major part of my Sigma personality, I don't need much to survive, just myself and my own thoughts and I'm far more efficient in life doing things my way. Interestingly as a lifelong  petrol head I'm not worried in the slightest about the demise of petrol and diesel vehicles. In fact I couldn't care less if my motorcycle or car are powered by electricity. The sole purpose of any vehicle is after all to get you from one place to another, that's it! I'm just using my classics as daily drivers while I can for the next ten to 15 years or so, I pay no road tax, have no mot's, have cheap insurance and smile everywhere I go!

I'm 33 and have never been happier

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 06:20:52 AM by 350Simon »
If it isn't broken, fix it anyway!

Offline 350Simon

• 1974 Honda 350 Four, 1974 Honda PC50
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2022, 06:13:13 AM »
Oh and thanks to all for the advice! I'll stick to long fast runs and avoid the temptation to nip somewhere local on it too often.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

If it isn't broken, fix it anyway!

Offline 400 Cafe Racer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2022, 07:48:45 PM »
Yes, you can rince it out with any oil and it will have a slight beneficial effect. No idea if the 350F aftermarket 4 into 4's are any good but unless you're riding it every day doing 12,000 miles a year, I wouldn't worry about it to much. The worse thing you can do is keep starting the bike up, creating condensation and then not running the bike for long enough to dry the condensation out. That's the main killer for the exhausts.

Hi 350 Simon,

+1  to what Nurse Julie says. If you have a small bleed hole in the silencer clamp you will be amazed how much condensation water comes out within the first minute of starting. Probably a good egg cup full at least.
It tends  to get trapped where the 4 pipes meet together.

Give the bike a proper run and warm up to ensure that the full system is hot and will evaporate any moisture/water.

Retired Automotive Engineer   MIMI, MITRE, DMS, MCMI.

Latest    - 1979 CB400/4  Cafe Racer - Parakeet Yellow
              - 1939 Velocette GTP 250 twin port Two stroke

1988-91 - Lamborghini Countach QV replica design and
                 build - 3000hr spare time project

In 1956 at 12yrs old and dirt tracking
              - 1937 Rudge 500 4 valve
              - 1940s Royal Enfield 225sv
              -  Ex WD Norton 500sv

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal