Author Topic: Stiff old wiring !  (Read 553 times)

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
Stiff old wiring !
« on: July 07, 2022, 10:48:11 AM »
Following rebuild engine back in frame and a battle with carb air box , all seemed to be going well BUT having a bit of aggro with the loom around air filter box area, it's the original loom and has obviously hardened into it's position over the years  any tips on how to make it more malleable/ pliable to allow some connections to actually reach. A gentle application with heat gun springs to mind but are there other tricks?
Other than purchase a new loom 🤣

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Stiff old wiring !
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 10:55:19 AM »
When I was fitting an engine loom on a car I put the loom in our conservatory for a couple of hours it helped but it was a new loom.
Not sure how well it works on 40 year old plastic.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 12:40:04 PM »
Bill, given the gremlin headaches of loom problems, and the tendency to strike only when at the furthest point from home, surely the best answer is to treat the bike to a new one?

Sheathings become brittle and fail, wires become corroded and fail, connectors cease to connect. Never heard of how to effectively reverse the first two, and often the 3rd is like surgery on an 80yo.

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 03:06:07 PM »
Like your logic, this machine has fought me all the way and chasing my tail electrically doesn't enthrall me!
Bitten the bullet,  new loom on order 👍, must be at least a week that DS haven't had an order from me ! 🤣

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal