Author Topic: Wot, no OHC!  (Read 2393 times)

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Wot, no OHC!
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2022, 10:56:48 PM »
Stunning work Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2022, 12:03:35 PM »
Thank you all for the really kind comments. Hopefully it will go (and stop!) as good as it looks!

To answer a few questions, the motor began life as a TR6P (as in Police). Dave Degans aka Dresda converted the head to twin carbs and fitted 750 polished alloy conrods along with a direct rocker feed from the crank. I removed the rocker feed on the advice of several well respected triumph engine builders and reinstated it on the return side.
When I fitted the new Morgo barrel I found it was 8mm too high! This is where all the reverse engineering began, I took the barrel to Miles at Morgo and he machined the top fin off, re-cut the top groove and bored the barrel to match the modified pistons, all for £10 whilst I waited (and I've never drunk so much tea!).
Terry at Stotfold Engineering in Biggleswade machined the front wheel hub (with the tire still fitted) on his giant lathe as it was oval, he also turned the brake linings to suit the hub. Ferret is going to make the wiring loom, he is very well known in the bike mags, I would make it myself but a pro crimper to make the English bullet connectors is a lot of money for a one-off project and to be honest I want the bike to be reliable, something it wasn't 20 years ago!

One thing I do remember about riding the bike 20 years ago was walking like John Wayne after a 50 mile ride, the wideline frame is very wide at the saddle!

I have enjoyed this build, it has been a nice change to buy sheets of ali and steel and undertake some fabrication work and to slowly see the bike evolve from the image in my head to the real thing on the bench.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2022, 10:32:46 PM »
Whata stunner! Well done that man, I love it. The looks, the fact you walk like John Wayne after every ride, the lot. What a piece of kit, well done and a 100% head turner!

I'm amazed you managed to pin Ferreyt down, he's proper in demand. I think I speakfor all on here but as soon as it fires, can we have a clip of it running please?...............Thanks and dribbles in advance.

8)
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2022, 01:03:05 PM »
Fabulous bike Dave and some industrial grade head scratching to amalgamate the various elements, along with your hard work to get it completed.

As noted above, it'll be good to see and hear it run.

Nigel.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2022, 08:27:58 AM »
Excellent work. A well built Triton is always a thing of beauty. Always lusted after one, but never succeded. Happy with my RGS replica though.
Be good to hear it running

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal