Author Topic: Locks for steering, ignition and seat with one key?  (Read 1570 times)

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Locks for steering, ignition and seat with one key?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2022, 04:52:11 PM »
So - googled around a bit. 4into1 has a ignition key and seat lock set for the 550K model, but I have not been able to find a ignition and seat lock set for the 550F. Does any of you know if that exists?

In another thread, I read about a guy who just changed the waifers on his seat lock to match the ignition key. I wonder if that is possible with all the reproduction locks that are out there?

Any suggestions for good replacement seat locks, or will any reproduction do?

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2022, 06:23:24 PM »
Alex, I will be interested to see if it is possible to alter / replace the barrel on a seat lock. I'd like to keep the original seat lock with the flip cover to the barrel but could not see a way of doing it.
The replacement lock has a different length of barrel.
Matt 
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2022, 10:25:38 PM »
Depends on which K you have.
If the steering lock is on the side of the frame no you cant have one key, if its under the bottom yoke yes you can but it costs

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2022, 08:57:50 AM »
Depends on which K you have.
If the steering lock is on the side of the frame no you cant have one key, if its under the bottom yoke yes you can but it costs

Ah, but the last post was about having the same key for the ignition and the seat lock. I realize that my F2 1978 model have different keys for the steering lock. But I should still be able to have one key for the ignition and seat lock. But have only been able to find a collected set on 4into1 (https://4into1.com/square-plug-ignition-switch-seat-lock-set-cb200-350f-360-500k-550k-750k-cl200-360/), but that’s not compatible with my model. Just wondering if a similar set exists for the F models, or if I can reconfigure a reproduction seat lock to fit my ignition key.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2022, 05:23:38 PM »
Look in the correct parts book for your model at cmsnl and there will be one partnumber for a lock set then try googling that number

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2022, 07:23:27 PM »
The actual connections in the ignition switch for the US K that has the integral steering lock look very similar to those for the F. It is just really an on/off and then just an an extra on/off for the parking lights. But I know some of the switches have six connections and some five. (Just looked I have a spare K3 ign Sw/lock and has five.)
Look at the shop manual wiring diags.
The steering lock (on my US bikes) relies on an arc of metal on the headstock which you may not have.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal