Author Topic: Crap and more crap  (Read 712 times)

Offline PHILIP2908

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Crap and more crap
« on: July 13, 2022, 09:34:54 PM »
This one had me fooled (again) – pattern parts do my head in.
I’d nadgered the hex head on the the bowl of the fuel tap, then the screws got chewed up and it was really manky anyway. So ordered up a pattern replacement from Dave Silver.
This turned up and it looked OK but the engraved plate had ‘reserve’ at the front position and ‘stop’ at the rear – totally opposite to every Honda I’d ridden since 1971. It was always easy to remember as Honda has ‘Reserve’ and ‘Rear’ - both start with an ‘R’ - dead simple.
So, on went the nice new shiny tap and the bike would not start – no fuel it seemed; bone dry plugs. On taking the tap apart it turned out that the rear position was reserve after all so it’s the engraved plate was wrong. Just crap .
Anyhow, once I’d got the bile running again I then had to leave it for the past 5 weeks due to pressure from my job; came back to it again and the damn thing would not start – bone dry plugs again. Ahh what now !
Took the fuel tap apart and it was full of what looked like a small quantity of sand which was preventing fuel flow. This is E10 at its worst. Never again – more crap. Just how much crap do we have to put up with??
So splashed in a few litres of ASPEN pure petrol (£25 for 5 litres) and it fired right up. If I leave the bike again for an extended period, I will always fill it with E5 or Aspen.
This bike has fought me every step of the way for 5 years and I am that close to riding it. Although at 68 years old it seems am lot heavier than the one I had in 1988.
Will report back if I survive the first ride out.
Keep safe.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
1974 Honda XL250 K0 - Silver - owned for 32 years. Not running at the moment
1972 Honda CB750 K2 - Now candy apple red - Ex USA, a DK special - needs a lot more work than I thought - very quickly becoming a DS special...

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Crap and more crap
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 10:13:47 PM »
Holy shit Philip! That is a saga, thankfully don’t have E10 in Orkney but E5 bad enough. Good luck with getting her out on the road.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 11:14:24 PM »
Without examine parts diagrams, did Honda modify their fuel cocks as they were switched from the RHS to LHS around 1973 on the CB750s? My K2 has the fuel tap on the RHS, which is a bit of a pain when trying to switch it whilst maintaining any throttle position other than closed.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 05:21:28 AM »
The fuel tap is the same if located on the right or left side on a 750.
I never turn the tap to reserve as, any crap in the bottom of the tank goes straight to the carbs. Much easier to set the trip to 0000 when filling up, do 100 miles and fill up again  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal