Author Topic: CB550F2 Build Update  (Read 839 times)

Offline FlyinPhil

• Potestatum Obscuri Lateris Nescis
    • View Profile
CB550F2 Build Update
« on: July 17, 2022, 02:16:22 PM »
Hello all,

Its been a while since I first introduced myself to the forum and shared my build so I just though I would share the with you all the latest photo's of my mild cafe 550F2 project.  I also wanted to encourage those who, like me, have zero experience in the restoration of motorcycles that through using the amazing resource such as this forum that you can get there, because trust me if I can you can!

I would also really appreciate some constructive criticism or feedback as to what you think so far, because as i said this is the first one I've attempted and I am essentially building my dream bike (with the exception of an RC30 or 45).  The bike hasn't been hacked about as most cafe bikes are and can still be returned to stock easily if needed.  I didn't want to go for a loudy, shouty style but more of an understated one which captures the best of both worlds.

The build is not far now from being rideable, having started just over a year ago, and all I have now is *just* the electrics and then getting the thing fired up!

Cheers
Phil
1977 CB550F
"She's built like a Steakhouse, but handles like a Bistro."

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB550F2 Build Update
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 05:15:56 PM »
That looks well tidy so far - the electrics on my 400 soon fell into place being easier than I thought although I used a new loom. Various wiring diagrams on here helped enormously.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 06:34:44 PM »
Looking good Phil - looks a nice build you've done there for a 1st resto
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline FlyinPhil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 06:22:19 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it.

And Ted yes I hope the electrics do go to plan as I've got a new loom too, and pilfered every wiring diagram and book I could from here, so fingers crossed! 👍
1977 CB550F

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 12:59:08 PM »

And Ted yes I hope the electrics do go to plan as I've got a new loom too, and pilfered every wiring diagram and book I could from here, so fingers crossed! 👍

As I had time on my hands during the cold weather I actually did an Excel spread sheet showing all the wiring loom colours on my 400 including if they were male or female - I then married this up with the various  electrical items on my bike - indicators, ignition horn, brake lights etc I eneded up with just a few unknowns to do with the horn, & clutch switch I think it was.
I found this generic Honda document useful when I had a few spare wires!
Plus of course advice on here.
If any 400 owners want a copy of my spreadsheets just PM me and I will e-mail them to you, My bike did not have the pass switch so slight adjustments were needed. On the plus side I did not blow any fuses except in my brain.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 08:57:07 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Rolfbulmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 04:43:29 PM »
Looks really nice Phil.
I am also undertaking my first cafe racer conversion of a cb550.
Could you tell me where you got your speedo and tacho gauge from please, they look sweet.
1977 Honda CB550F - Cafe racer project bike
2001 Honda Hornet 600  - All weather bike
2019 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 - Dry and sunny weather bike

Offline FlyinPhil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 06:31:15 PM »

As I had time on my hands during the cold weather I actually did an Excel spread sheet showing all the wiring loom colours on my 400 including if they were male or female - I then married this up with the various  electrical items on my bike - indicators, ignition horn, brake lights etc I eneded up with just a few unknowns to do with the horn, & clutch switch I think it was.
I found this generic Honda document useful when I had a few spare wires!
Plus of course advice on here.
If any 400 owners want a copy of my spreadsheets just PM me and I will e-mail them to you, My bike did not have the pass switch so slight adjustments were needed. On the plus sign I did not blow any fuses except in my brain.

Thanks Red, and Excel spreadsheets - now your talking my language!! I'm a secret excel nerd so you've really got me thinking now and that wiring document will be really useful so thanks very much. 👍
1977 CB550F

Offline FlyinPhil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 06:38:02 PM »
Looks really nice Phil.
I am also undertaking my first cafe racer conversion of a cb550.
Could you tell me where you got your speedo and tacho gauge from please, they look sweet.

Cheers Rolf. Would like to see how your doing with yours too. Speedo and tacho were just a fleabay find but you've got to be careful with the ratios of them. I'll dig out the ebay listing and pm you the link if they are still around. The tricky bit is mounting them properly though, but I was lucky enough to find a custom bracket, again on ebay, from a guy in Canada who bought it for his cb750 and never fit it. You can buy them new but I've only ever seen them on Dime City Cycles (in the US) but they are quite pricey and the postage is mental, however they also sell the gauges. You also should mount them on rubber washers too so I've been told to stop undue vibration and premature gauge wear/failure.
1977 CB550F

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal