Author Topic: Rear brake on CB550F question about design  (Read 1031 times)

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Rear brake on CB550F question about design
« on: July 21, 2022, 06:42:40 AM »
Hey all

Assembling the rear brake. The brake pedal stem is a slightly different design than earlier models it seems, and it has an extra arm with some sort of hook on it. I can't figure out what the hook is supposed to hook on to or what its purpose is. Can anybody help?

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Rear brake on CB550F question about design
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 06:48:02 AM »
Mmh… realising right now it must be the spring it hooks on to! Already installed the back wheel though, and it seems I have to disassemble that again to even install the brake pedal stem. Damn.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 07:36:04 AM »
Swing arm out as well

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 09:39:52 AM »
Ok, the spring is on the outside of the bike, not inside where that hook is. Can someone tell me or if anyone has a picture of how to mount this correctly? What goes in that hook on the second arm of the brake stem?

Offline Bro550F

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 11:22:57 AM »
Any photos, would help??

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 12:17:46 PM »
Does this help?

Offline FlyinPhil

• Potestatum Obscuri Lateris Nescis
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2022, 01:15:33 PM »
Mmh… realising right now it must be the spring it hooks on to! Already installed the back wheel though, and it seems I have to disassemble that again to even install the brake pedal stem. Damn.

I made this mistake as I followed a build thread from an earlier K model and then found out when I had installed the lovely new swingarm and rear wheel that I couldn't get that brake arm pedal in.  So out came the rear wheel and swing arm again to install it.  I just put it down to experience and its all part of the fun, and yes the little hook is for the little spring which connects the arm to the brake pedal switch.
1977 CB550F
"She's built like a Steakhouse, but handles like a Bistro."

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2022, 04:08:19 PM »
I was fortunate not to make a similar error on my 400 - when asking about fitting the bronze bushes into the swing arm I was forwarned about fitting the brake pedal lever before fitting the swing arm into the frame.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2022, 05:15:46 PM »

I made this mistake as I followed a build thread from an earlier K model and then found out when I had installed the lovely new swingarm and rear wheel that I couldn't get that brake arm pedal in.  So out came the rear wheel and swing arm again to install it.  I just put it down to experience and its all part of the fun, and yes the little hook is for the little spring which connects the arm to the brake pedal switch.

I did exactly this :) Ah well, corrected the error today.

One question though - does anyone know where the brake pedal adjuster bolt is on my model? I can't find it on the parts list.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2022, 05:31:23 PM »
EITHER outside the frame pushing down on the pedal OR behind the frame tube pushing on one of legs of the bit you cant fit

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2022, 06:54:42 PM »
Brake pedal adjuster bolt hole is inboard of the main frame tubes. Short bent bit of meatal for 6mm bolt that bears on the back of the arm that the pulls the brake rod. The other arm on the this shaft with the hook is for the spring of the rear brake switch.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2022, 08:43:50 PM »
Brake pedal adjuster bolt hole is inboard of the main frame tubes. Short bent bit of meatal for 6mm bolt that bears on the back of the arm that the pulls the brake rod. The other arm on the this shaft with the hook is for the spring of the rear brake switch.

Ok, so something weird here.

When I took the bike apart, this screw was placed in that screw hole:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

But when I try to refit it now, it seems the screw is too big, and is ruining the thread. See this picture. Don't know if it is just because of the powder coating, but it definitely seems as if the screw is way to big for the hole.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

But I have a before picture of that screw in that exact hole! What do you guys think?

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2022, 08:54:20 PM »
If you are certain you  took that bolt out of the thread and it seemed normal then a tap down the thread should  remove any powder coating layer.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2022, 09:39:03 PM »
TBH it looks like the bracket is bent out of shape, it should be flat and it should be threaded M6 x 1.00, that bolt could be UNF as it appears a bit coarser than standard.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2022, 07:38:15 AM »
Second oddjob comments. The plate should be flat eg perpendicular to the brake arm.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal