Author Topic: 650SCC Carbs  (Read 1267 times)

Offline mcapresley

• View Profile
650SCC Carbs
« on: June 07, 2010, 08:52:17 PM »
Hi
In a moment of insanity I ended up bidding on an 82 650SCC, and after the shock of winning I arranged to get the bike delivered.

A non runner - electrics shot to hell, tank full of rust, 30000miles, but otherwise all there.

Well I've sorted the electrics - rewiring, re-routing etc and got the engine to run, problem is that without the choke it immediately races to 5500 rpm. With full choke drops to 1000rpm or stalls. Will rev cleanly, no pops or bangs (well not after cleaning the carbs 3 times and putting iridium plugs in) but I cannot get the engine speed down.

All clearances and timing checked, new air filter fitted.

Any suggestions gratefully rec'd. It uses the Keihin CV carbs without a rubber diaphragm, and I'm feeding it nice, new, clean fuel via a funnel.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: 650SCC Carbs
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 08:51:44 AM »
Air leak at manifold? spray carb  cleaner or somit at each joint and if you get a rapid raise in revs than you may have found a leak. try putting a litte load on the engine a few times, I've found that an engine that starts off racing a lot can settle down if given some use, maybe just roll up the drive a few times in 1st.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal