Author Topic: CB 500 resurrection  (Read 18858 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: CB 500 resurrection
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2022, 07:04:36 PM »
I've never seen that damage before. The crank webbing has clearly gouged into the casing. Are all those shiny bits pieces of the alloy scattered around? Any corresponding marks on the crank webbing?

Is that Number 2 cylinder it's on, looks like it.

Casing damage looks to be no critical.

You may be better using the 550 bottom end or the complete engine.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2022, 07:29:14 PM »
The shiny bits are indents in the casing.
It is no 2, this is the same view of the 550 casing. [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Also pi of crank which just shows "polishing".
When I looked at cases for sale on ebay they seem to show similar wear.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2022, 08:04:41 PM »
It is not wear, it has been machined in the factory so, nothing to worry about  ;)

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2022, 08:13:16 PM »
Thanks for that. One less thing to worry about.

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2022, 06:02:31 PM »
And in further bad news, looks like a chain snap has taken out a chunk of casting that protects the oil pump.
What do you think about using the 550 bottom case. The only difference I can see is an extra oil feed to the final drive shaft. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2022, 06:06:40 PM »
Cases are machine paired, if you use one you must use both, so either 500 cases or 550 cases. Not a mix and match scenario.

The damage however isn't critical, you'll just get chain lube thrown onto the oil pump with that damage.

Difference in gearbox, selector mechanism, no upper shift drum stopper, different clutch, different clutch casing, different primary drive gear and those are just what I can remember right now.

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2022, 07:22:19 PM »
OK thanks for that. Ill have to think about which way to go.

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2022, 07:41:51 PM »
Im going to stick with the 500, trouble is I just keep hitting problems/damaged parts. [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2022, 08:28:23 PM »
TBH the selectors look toast. All have got some burning/rubbing marks.

What do the 550 ones look like?

The 550 uses a different set of fork selectors so you can't mix and match those either.

I'm still concerned about the shiny side to the journal tower. Yes, they are machined like that from the factory BUT they shouldn't still be shiny. I have 3 sets of cases apart right now and all are dull and oil stained, that's normal. That looks like it's just been done which is why it concerns me a little. I'm betting the 550 cases won't look like that. Also by the number of very small holes in the casings I'm betting something broke or wore really bad in those cases and flung little bits all over the inside. Look at the webbing right at the front of the close up pic of that shiny area, loads and loads of strike hits showing.

Try and take a pic of the bottom case, showing the inner side and top down. It's likely the primary chain has been rubbing on the oil gallery.

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2022, 09:44:39 PM »
TBH the selectors look toast. All have got some burning/rubbing marks.

What do the 550 ones look like?

The 550 uses a different set of fork selectors so you can't mix and match those either.

I'm still concerned about the shiny side to the journal tower. Yes, they are machined like that from the factory BUT they shouldn't still be shiny. I have 3 sets of cases apart right now and all are dull and oil stained, that's normal. That looks like it's just been done which is why it concerns me a little. I'm betting the 550 cases won't look like that. Also by the number of very small holes in the casings I'm betting something broke or wore really bad in those cases and flung little bits all over the inside. Look at the webbing right at the front of the close up pic of that shiny area, loads and loads of strike hits showing.

Try and take a pic of the bottom case, showing the inner side and top down. It's likely the primary chain has been rubbing on the oil gallery.

Yes forks are toast. The 550 ones are a bit better but I don't really want to use that engine.
The 550 cases look the same ie shiny, the picture at the top of this page is the 550.
I agree something went really wrong with this engine in the past,   

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2022, 11:35:01 PM »
I have a NOS Left hand selector and a NOS centre selector. However they ain't cheap, a NOS centre is extremely rare these days, commanding around £170-200. A NOS left is cheaper at around £130-150.

You want to make me an offer?

OR you can try and find some decent second hand ones, the CL350 uses the same middle selector IIRC but you'd need to find those in the states as a rule.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 11:38:30 PM by Oddjob »

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2022, 11:08:38 AM »
I'd be very interested in you selectors and also your clutch inner if you find it.
DSS has centre and left in stock, so let me think about making you an offer. Im out most of the day so Ill get back to you at the weekend.
Might be easier if you just pm me your final price Im not tight but costs are starting to spiral.
Do you need anything I might have, we could swop-p/ex ?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2022, 12:00:44 PM »
Yes, you can get them from DSS for about £65 trade price or £80 retail. Bought some at the begging of the year  ;)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2022, 01:56:26 PM »
Well that's new. DS having some centre ones in, they have not had any for years. They must be a recent addition from some stock he's just acquired in the US where they are easier to find.

The left one however isn't the right type, no idea why he's put a 550 selector picture on there and the part number is wrong.

Found the clutch inner, it cleaned up ok TBH. All the bolt towers are intact. However it does has some alloy corrosion on it, nothing that would prevent it working IMO but they are fairly common so I can't believe someone else hasn't got a better one. I gave a complete 500 clutch away a couple of years ago, I had quite a few lying around. However I just scrapped a load of parts so some might be have been in that lot.

I'd buy the DS centre selector, I'll hang onto mine.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 11:03:48 AM by Oddjob »

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2022, 09:45:12 AM »
Well that's new. DS having some centre ones in, they have not had any for years. They must be a recent addition from some stock he's just acquired in the US where they are easier to find.

The left one however isn't the right type, no idea why he's put a 550 selector picture on there and the part number is wrong.

Found the clutch inner, it cleaned up ok TBH. All the bolt towers are intact. However it does has some alloy corrosion on it, nothing that would prevent it working IMO but there are fairly common so I can't believe someone else hasn't got a better one. I gave a complete 500 clutch away a couple of years ago, I had quite a few lying around. However I just scrapped a load of parts so some might be have been in that lot.

I'd buy the DS centre selector, I'll hang onto mine.

Ive made an offer on the clutch you linked to on ebay, so thanks for that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal