Author Topic: CB 500 resurrection  (Read 18863 times)

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: CB 500 resurrection
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2022, 06:33:57 PM »
Limited progress but various pieces of engine have gone to Graham and the cases have been sent for a dip.
I have plastigauged the big end shells and they all came in at between 1.8 and 2.2 thou so I think that's ok. [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2022, 06:35:47 PM »
Thats about where I am too ;D

bear weth on that hub Gary, just working out sums etc and looking at others like yer do. ::) ;) :)
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2022, 11:51:41 AM »
Not much progress since Ive been put on gardening duty, but did get a chance to go through the internals.
The needle bearing on the layshaft has one roller missing which may explain the damage to the inside of the upper case. cant imagine how it got free though.
Luckily I have a spare and to my untrained eye the other bearings all feel and look good.
Also had a trial fit of seat and tank, I dont think its the original/correct seat. [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2022, 12:09:57 PM »
Looking good Gary 8)
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2022, 01:20:32 PM »
Seat cover isn't original. Need a pic of the seat pan to see if it's on the right base.

500 didn't get the disc guard, the 550 did. You can leave it on though as most people wouldn't know that.

The countershaft is out of a 550 not a 500. Unless you've nicked the needle roller bearing off the 550 as that's a small oil pump on the end.

Check how many teeth the primary drive gear has got. They differ between the 500 and 550 as the clutch basket changed. 500 has 24 and 550 has 26 IIRC.

Change the damper rubbers in the primary drive hub, sure we've already told you that.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2022, 04:36:59 PM »
Oddjob, thanks for the input. Ill check things out tomorrow as Im getting my various shafts mixed up in my head.
There seem to be different names for the same thing so Ill do some research.
Everything in that picture came out of the 500 cases.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2022, 04:55:30 PM »
Does the needle roller housing on the mainshaft (clutch) have a hole in the centre of it? It needs to as that's where the pushrod goes through. Someone has clearly been mucking around inside as it looks to be a bit of a 500 and a bit of a 550. Which could be a problem as they used different gears for the different models and you can't mix and match.

In your pic, the top shaft is the countershaft or where the front chain sprocket fits.

The next one down is the kickstart shaft.

Then the primary shaft with the primary gear next to the bearing. That's the one with different numbers of teeth for the 2 models.
Front shaft is the mainshaft or clutch shaft and next to that is the primary drive hub. That has a large gear attached that the starter motor uses to spin the motor over.

IIRC the needle rollers uses 2 different methods to hold the needles. The countershaft one uses a cage which holds the needles in place, you can remove it from the housing and they'll stay in place, the mainshaft uses a similar cage BUT the needles are loose and tend to fall out as soon as you remove it from the shaft. That's most likely where one has been lost. I may have a spare loose needle roller around if you need it.

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2022, 06:54:22 PM »
Some good info there.
Yes clutch shaft has a hole right through.
Primary drive gear has 23 teeth.
I have spare needle rollers.
Ill go through everything tomorrow I have to go play pool and drink Guinness now. :) :) :) :)

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2022, 08:42:16 PM »
So. The cases have now been acid dipped, painted and baked and Ive started to read assembly instructions.
I got as far as the selector drum stop screw and Im confused. There seem to be two kinds. All I have is a screw with o ring and tab washer no spring or ball but it seems some engines are like that.
Does anyone know if this is correct I think there should at least be a cap of some kind.
Also if you have time could you explain the purpose of said stop screw. (idiots guide please).

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2022, 09:06:00 PM »
The very early 500s had a small ball bearing with a spring, on the shift drum there is an indent and the ball bearing would go into it and help with neutral selection. However there were some problems with it and Honda redesigned it and issued a recall for all the early ones so they were changed to the later design. The later type has the same bolt but instead of the ball bearing and spring there is a collar which fit's over the shaft at the base of the bolt. The selection mechanism inside the clutch case was also changed.

All the K1 500s have the newer design and most of the K0s after a certain engine number also have the newer design.

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2022, 09:11:02 PM »
Thanks OJ. Is that all it does< help with neutral selection?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2022, 12:13:17 AM »
Nope only locates the drum sideways with roller in groove, all the neutral and gearchange gubbins id behind the clutch, the should be a service bulletin on here somewhere(Ashs dropbox or alladins cave) that shows the mod and how to do it

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2022, 02:43:37 AM »
The ball bearing was there to aid neutral selection Bryan, that's why there is a recess in it for the ball to drop into, it's in the exact place it needs to be for neutral. They replaced it with a collar which as you say helps stop the drum sliding around and improved the selectors inside the clutch area. The upgrade kit had all the selector mechanism as well as the new bolt for the top IIRC.

The old selector system just wasn't good enough to allow an easy selection of neutral, the yanks complained like hell and got it changed as they had the K0 way before us.

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2022, 11:03:07 AM »
Thanks guys. Even with the stop screw in place there seems to be some sideways movement of the drum is this normal?

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2022, 12:49:08 PM »
Does the stop screw still have its little collar fitted?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal