Author Topic: New here...Hi  (Read 805 times)

Offline M.JPN

• View Profile
New here...Hi
« on: July 24, 2022, 01:17:16 PM »
Hi all, new owner of a 1978 CB750K (US Import) based in London - needs a lot of love to get it back on the road so need to start putting a shopping list together.

Been browsing though the forum this past week trying to soak up some knowledge...so much information on here!! No doubt i'll be asking plenty of questions and will get some pics up next week.

So first off, I want to start buying a full gasket kit - Wemoto have the Athena one, and CMS have gasket kit top+bottom but it doesn't say which brand, only that its an alternative part. Both similar prices - would anyone recommend one over the other? Or would you say buying the genuine gaskets individual would be best but then the price adds up.

I've read on here that the carbs on this model (PD42B) aren't everyones favourites and they are different to the earlier models -  Was planning on getting Keyster Carb Kit [Keihin PD42] from https://nrp-carbs.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=450&search=pd42 but was sure if they would definitely fit mine as they say CB750F4 and also PD42 but mine say PD42B. Would these work or would there be better and cheaper options out there?

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: New here...Hi
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 02:33:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum I only have experience on the 400 but there are loads of 750 owners here.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 04:36:05 PM »
Dont buy kits, the brass parts are junk, PD carbs are always a swine.
As to gaskets etc, dont forget to factor in the import duty from cms now, original are horendously exp, if available.
Why pull it down if there are no problems?

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 10:52:17 PM »
Welcome to the forum - I have Keyster kits on my 750K2 and 500K2 and they are working fine for me. Just gon't buy the unbranded chinese rubbish as they are way out.
Experts should be along for gasket advice - can't just recall the quality brand name at the moment (senior moment again!)
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 11:08:02 PM »
"I've read on here that the carbs on this model (PD42B) aren't everyones favourites and they are different to the earlier models -  Was planning on getting Keyster Carb Kit [Keihin PD42] from https://nrp-carbs.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=450&search=pd42 but was sure if they would definitely fit mine as they say CB750F4 and also PD42 but mine say PD42B. Would these work or would there be better and cheaper options out there?"

PD42 is the type with "B" the specification for engine as example. F3 was USA runout model for the F2 in UK terms and uses different jet sizing to the K model you have. So they fit but aren't to std flow volume as original.  You'll specifically need K 7 or 8 to be correct, I can get exact details for jet size for you if needed when I get to look it up in manual.

I like the PD carbs (can see the reservation in working on them in being fiddly) but they are a very well designed, accurate and more advanced carb set than earlier models.

Running strategy is to have the fuel metering more accurate for constant running with supplimentary fuelling for acceleration via pumped additionally as you twist the throttle open. Without the pump operating correctly you'll not be accelerating much  ;D so verify that's healthy  too. Be hyper diligent in cleaning all fuel/air passages else you'll be dismantling again.

They genuinely run really well if in good order and give particularly good control/response.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal