Author Topic: Heavy clutch  (Read 722 times)

Offline alfiembra

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Heavy clutch
« on: July 27, 2022, 11:46:57 PM »
I’m finding the clutch on my 400/4 really hard on my hand, and after about 30 miles or so my hand is getting too sore to keep going any further. Apart from my advancing years and wimpy grip, any advice on how I can soften up the clutch operation.

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy clutch
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 12:19:15 AM »
Check that the lever pivot has no resistance. A wee drop of light oil helps. Maybe need a new clutch cable, the old one might have a bit of resistance. And check the cable routing, any tight bends increase resistance too.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 07:45:25 AM »
Greetings fellow sufferer, because of the cable being routed over the top of the cylinder head the heat generated gradually buggers up the cable, but it's a slow process so you do not notice it straight away. I renew my clutch cable every two years, and each time I am amazed how nice and light it is with the new cable fitted!. Nice quick job, just release each end and tie the new cable to the old one and pull it through. (From the top is much easier.) Regards, Mike.

Offline alfiembra

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 12:07:38 PM »
Many thanks for the replies I’ll give it a good oiling and if that doesn’t do the trick then a new cable it is.
Anyone had any experience with cable oilers? Always looked a bit gimmicky to me but might be an option.

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 12:54:09 PM »
If you get a modern cable most of them are teflon lined and don't need oiling.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 03:24:19 PM »
Many thanks for the replies I’ll give it a good oiling and if that doesn’t do the trick then a new cable it is.
Anyone had any experience with cable oilers? Always looked a bit gimmicky to me but might be an option.

As noted already, the good cables are lined to reduce friction.

But if you want to enhance this, it's silicone oil you need to avoid problems with the materials within the cables. Makes throttle cables super smooth too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal