Author Topic: Fuse box woes  (Read 1303 times)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Fuse box woes
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2022, 07:00:18 PM »
That's correct, yes.

It shows that the points are doing what they should.

Now swap the two wires from the coils to points with each other (blue and yellow)and test for spark again. It won't run like this as timing is wrong, but it will tell us if the opposite coil will fire to help diagnosis.

Let us know what you've now got like this, which HT leads fire ?

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2022, 12:03:50 PM »
That's correct, yes.

It shows that the points are doing what they should.

Now swap the two wires from the coils to points with each other (blue and yellow)and test for spark again. It won't run like this as timing is wrong, but it will tell us if the opposite coil will fire to help diagnosis.

Let us know what you've now got like this, which HT leads fire ?

Did this and nothing fire, which made me sad, as I thought the coil was bad. Rechecked the whole thing one last time, and all of a sudden I had spark in all four plugs.  Swear to god, I have no idea how I did that or why it changed. Had a hi beam that didn’t work either, and suddenly out of the blue started working. There ar quite a few gremlins in this old harness it would seem.

Good thing it’s working. Bad thing I don’t know why, as when it stops working again, I have no idea what to do.

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2022, 12:06:26 PM »
Also, having a points plate problem. 1/4 plate had to be moved to the outermost position before firing on the F mark. As a result the 2/3 will only fire a little late, between the F and T mark.

What do you do in that case? I set the point gap to .012 (had to do tighten it down to get them to fire just somewhat near the F mark). Do you just compensate at the gap, close it even more and readjust the plate afterwards?

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2022, 01:50:03 PM »
Genuine or aftermarket points. Aftermarket are well known to cause this problem.

And yes, adjust gap to compensate.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal