Author Topic: A visit to a breaker  (Read 667 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
A visit to a breaker
« on: July 28, 2022, 06:30:31 PM »
After finally shaking off the Covid I had recently I decided to buy a job lot of spares for the Honda CB550 I'd been looking at for a while. He accepted my lower offer than what he actually wanted so travelled 70 miles to pick up the pieces yesterday.

He had a barn load of stuff, all boxed and labelled. A lot of really old Hondas, CB160, 175 sloper, quite a few CD175 and a CB175 engines, he also had 3 SS125s for sale, 2 with wheels and one without. He reckoned he had the parts to complete them lying about somewhere but if you're interested give him a call. He also had a Honda I've never heard of or seen, a small sort of PS50 bike called a Honda Runabout I think. Extremely rare I reckon, I can't even find one on the web.

There were hundreds of large boxes for most every bike I can think of. If you're looking for a bit it's possible he may have one. He's since sold most of his tank collection and exhaust collection though.

He also had a brand new garage built to house his own bike collection.

He reckons most are for sale but not all. His SL125 isn't for instance. Also a Sealey 750 not for sale. He also had a bike he reckons only 3 were produced, a Sealey CB750KZ, new one on me that.

Thought I'd post some pics of what I saw and if your interested then discuss it with him. If they aren't for sale I'll say in the description.

Triumph, with some sort of engine in it that is bigger than standard, he did say what it was but I'm not interested in Triumphs so I sort of zoned out   :) I do remember it was 900 or so CC. If you know your Triumphs maybe you can tell what it is.

Honda CB900FZ, CMA wheels. Looked ok and I was interested but I prefer the later versions ike the FB and FC.

Honda GL1000, first year model so 1975/6. Very good condition, rims fine, exhaust like new he reckons.

Sealey CB750FZ, never seen or heard of one. May be for sale if you offer the right money.

Honda CB1100, I liked this one, condition was really good. He offered it to me at £6k, not sure it's worth that much TBH.

Honda SS125?. Not for sale.

Honda XBR500. He also had another with a Daytona raced engine in it still with racing number fitted. You could see the security tags etc on the engine, the racing one Not for sale and was hidden under a sheet so no pic.

Name of breaker is GedsBikeBits near Carnforth, very out of the way in a small country road. Ignore Google, it's the next farm up from where Google thinks it is. Phone number 01524 734378.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 06:39:25 PM by Oddjob »
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: A visit to a breaker
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 06:53:38 PM »
Love the Wing but out my price range, i have heard that name but cant remember where

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 03:10:19 AM »
I forgot to add, whilst I worked at Queens Park Motors there was a large cellar there that all the written off bikes were just sort of thrown into, there were hundreds of them and some were really old. As I walked into the barn it reminded me so much of going down into the cellar at Queenies I mentioned it. Not sure if it was the smell or the amount of bikes partially stripped that did it. Turns out, he'd actually bought the cellar contents off a pair of brothers who were allowed to take it away for free so long as they cleared the cellar out. Weird. It was like the parts were saying Hi, long time no see  :) :) :)

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 09:21:11 AM »
I forgot to add, whilst I worked at Queens Park Motors there was a large cellar there that all the written off bikes were just sort of thrown into, there were hundreds of them and some were really old. As I walked into the barn it reminded me so much of going down into the cellar at Queenies I mentioned it. Not sure if it was the smell or the amount of bikes partially stripped that did it. Turns out, he'd actually bought the cellar contents off a pair of brothers who were allowed to take it away for free so long as they cleared the cellar out. Weird. It was like the parts were saying Hi, long time no see  :) :) :)
Lol that’s bizarre. It’s amazing how ‘smell’ can evoke the recall of really distant memories. Some decent bikes there Ken - I’d be really tempted by the CB1100F..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 11:18:39 AM by mick »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 12:42:02 PM »
Yeah that's the place. Doesn't look like that now. Most of the bikes are now in the garage. No sign of the little Honda Runabout, which was red IIRC.

I was very tempted by the CB1100, liked the colour, liked the condition. If he'd have said a lower price I might have been tempted. He doesn't like letting things go cheap, he offered me a CB500 engine, minus head for £100. I offered him £65 and he turned it down. The engine looked ok but not worth £100 especially with no head.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal